Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 PM

no tech stuff here your 18 and your rebuilding the engine in your 70 GTO -thank you thank god the passion carries on and your not making a drift rice runner ( although i should not bash the ricers- ive got a 73 240z meself -but high 5 to you keepin the vintage pontiac vibe alive and -just wondering how many said to you scape the pontiac boat anchor and get a chevy crate? lol your on point hope it turns out great

Old 02-19-2024, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Default Finally

I’m new to the Pontiac scene but not cars. I wish somebody would have said this to me 20+ years ago. I agree. Racing gas,4.11s, 3200 stall and LET IT GO!!!!!!!! Don’t spend forever NOT driving for the sake of ONLY driving a finished product. That killed my drive to drive when it went bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I agree, this is as cool as it gets. My first was my 65, that was in 1991. You are talking about a 45 year old car, that is really awesome.

Let me ask you this - how far do you expect to drive every day? You are posting on a forum with a bunch of old guys that care about stuff like not running high rpms all the time, overall driveability, hell we even care about cold starts and all get annoyed with the slightest exhaust leak. We spend hours on forums researching our next oil filter purchase or trying to decide between running 27 or 28 PSI in our tires for our next road trip.

But you are freaking 18 years old! I say to hell with all this, slap some 3.90's or 4.11's in the back and go burn some goddamned rubber, cruise around at 3000 RPM, smack it in the ass every time you go around a corner. Break every last damned drivetrain part on the car and learn how to put it back together in your sleep. That's what we all did at your age.

20 years from now, you can log in and we can have a nice 37 page thread about PCV valve calibration or hydraulic lifter bleed-down rates. Right now, kid, you've got rubber to burn and hearts to break. So get to work

Old 02-19-2024, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Default Finally

To reinforce: Make your largest life expenditure at that age gas and tires!!!! Be THAT GUY!!! The everybody hates because he always drives around with the headers uncorked!!!! Put a cheap paint job and late model yard interior and chase down females!!!! You will NOT REGRET THIS!!! Ask the guy who I’m posting this on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I agree, this is as cool as it gets. My first was my 65, that was in 1991. You are talking about a 45 year old car, that is really awesome.

Let me ask you this - how far do you expect to drive every day? You are posting on a forum with a bunch of old guys that care about stuff like not running high rpms all the time, overall driveability, hell we even care about cold starts and all get annoyed with the slightest exhaust leak. We spend hours on forums researching our next oil filter purchase or trying to decide between running 27 or 28 PSI in our tires for our next road trip.

But you are freaking 18 years old! I say to hell with all this, slap some 3.90's or 4.11's in the back and go burn some goddamned rubber, cruise around at 3000 RPM, smack it in the ass every time you go around a corner. Break every last damned drivetrain part on the car and learn how to put it back together in your sleep. That's what we all did at your age.

20 years from now, you can log in and we can have a nice 37 page thread about PCV valve calibration or hydraulic lifter bleed-down rates. Right now, kid, you've got rubber to burn and hearts to break. So get to work

Old 02-20-2024, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back from the dead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im-thinking-zombies-what.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	628987  

Old 02-20-2024, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever happened to screamingchief ?
I miss that guy.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Whatever happened to screamingchief ?
I miss that guy.
Last i heard he was getting out of Pontiacs after he lost his mom. Brett if you see this we all miss you and the help offered.

I hope life is treating you well my friend .

Old 02-20-2024, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The OP is 27 now.... wonder if he still has the gto or how the build turned out??

Old 02-20-2024, 01:15 PM

Well that was some weird posting from a brand new member, not to mention digging up an almost decade old ‘zombie thread’ to do that.

Scammer warming up to us.

Shoot first asks questions later, better luck next time eh.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
The OP is 27 now.... wonder if he still has the gto or how the build turned out??
With the high compression, stock rods, single plane and XE274, I bet he scattered it and sold the car. He's now got a Ford work truck and a mortgage. At least that's what happened to most of my old hot rodding buddies.

The guy that got me into pontiacs had a '67 matching numbers 400/400 firebird, black on black. It spun the number two rod in 2000. He swapped a Chevy 305 in it and drove it for about 6 months until he sold it, not running and in primer. The block got lost in a move and I have the 670 heads.

A girl I used to date got a small inheritance and promptly blew it on a black and blue'78 Z28 Camaro. Had a truck 327 and a single plane. I got it running OK, but then she traded it for an IROC with a V6 and a bad rear end.... Logic was not her best asset.... The Neanderthals she sold the Z28 to, blew it up at the dragstrip soon after.

Heck, even my white '67 is gonna be sold after I finish stripping it. Too rusted and the frame is bad.

So yeah most of these cars came to bad ends.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25

Last edited by chiphead; 02-20-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
I got it running OK, but then she traded it for an IROC with a V6 and a bad rear end....
You could get an IROC with a V6? Or do you mean the RS that kinda looked like an IROC?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-21-2024, 05:30 PM

I am right there with chiphead 390HP....... on good non pinggggging gas

Old 02-22-2024, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
You could get an IROC with a V6? Or do you mean the RS that kinda looked like an IROC?
It was a '92. Red and black. Maybe it was an RS, had a 3.something V6. I tried not to pay attention to it. Our mutual friends thought she was insane for trading the '78. The rear end on the RS whined louder than she did, like how can you not hear that when you test drove the car? Soon after, the car started running hot, and she overheated it limping it to my house. Car was steaming like a cartoon when she got to my place. And then she wanted me to change the radiator, head gasket, whatever it was. Nope honey, all your feminine wiles are not going trick me to lift the hood on that POS. It sat for 2 weeks until I got a trailer to dump it at her place. And towing it killed the tranny in my dodge pickup. A month later, the car was stolen out of her yard, LOL. It was a shakesperian redneck rock opera. The rocky headgasket picture show. That girl was no end of trouble, I was glad to be rid of her.....

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25