WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Just bought a 06 GTO

I just bought a black 06 GTO, automatic with 37,300 miles on it. You know I do not think my 455, 70 GTO can keep up with the 06.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im jealous any pics?

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Will try to post pictures tomorrow
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There aren't many (if any) '70s cars that can hang with the '06 Goats. Even modified earlier cars have little chance against a stock '06 GTO. I own both an '04 and an '06, as well as a 455 powered '71 Lemans sport, and a 400 powered '72 GTO. Even the '04 is gone before the old cars even rev up. You'll have to pretty much render your '70 unstreetable to have a fair chance against a stock '06.

I know there are modified old cars that will embarrass the new Goats, but it'll be the exception, not the norm. And they won't be daily, street-driven cars. One of the things I like most about the newer Goats is that they will run like hell, and be barely audible once you come to a stop.

This is from a guy who daily drives a 455 '71 Lemans Sport 'cause I simply love the '70-'72 Pontiac A-bodies. Bought my first one in 1976.

'04 GTOs were 13 second cars outta the box, and '05/6s were legitimate 12 second cars. In 1970, there weren't many cars with those capabilities. Fewer still made a 0-60 run in under six seconds, because of many factors such as tires ect.

Congrats on your new ride!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats on your purchase. There is no other car that makes me smile more than my 06 goat. These cars are the best of all worlds all rolled into one great performer. I like it so much that i just purchaced a 09 G8 GT to go with it. Those Aussies sure do know how to build a car! It flips people out when I tell them if I could only keep one of my cars it would be my 06 GTO Yeah the 69 has those classic looks but the 06 has it beat everywhere else while knocking down 25 mpg on the highway.
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM

I'd have to say my old '74 SD455 with headers would have been a very close race with my '09 GXP. My old 69 GTO, 70 Cuda 383, 69 Roadrunner 383, nor my 68 Barracuda 340 could hold a candle to the GXP.
71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM

I also just got a 2006 black GTO 6spd last satarday. It is an awesome car. I have had lots of very fast cars and this is by far th most fun to drive. My second favorite car to drive was ironically my 1995 Trans Am. The reason I say ironically is because I am actually a huge mopar man. I just sold my 2007 SRT8 Charger to my brother to get the GTO. The SRT8 was slightly modified. I cant wait to get both cars to the track together so I can see who can drive better. Before that I had a 2005 SRT4 that ran low 11s before I blew the engine, the most fun small engine car Ive ever had, and then the list goes through 5 Mustangs, Several Camaros, multiple Firebirds (including a 462 Big Block drag car turned into a weekend cruiser that my wife still has,) trans ams, Roadrunners, Novas, a 66 455 Cutlass, Buick 455 GS, Dusters, Ford Galaxie convertables, etc etc etc. But of all of the cars ive had the GTO is currently my hands down favorite drivers car. I cant even pin point exactly why it is my favorite other than to say that it just seems to have an angry, on the edge, ready to rumble, downright mean disposition. The SRT8 was bipolar with most of the time just seeming like a large calm and relaxed old mans car until you really got on it and then it would really move. The GTO on the other hand just seems to scream to be driven hard, fast, angry, and right now. God I love it.

Memphisheat
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Memphisheat, there's not much traffic on this forum for the new goats.

Have you joined LS1GTO.com? It's probably the best forum for the 04-06 GTOs.

You mentioned going to the dragstrip to race against your old SRT8. Be aware that the 6speed GTOs are very hard to launch because of the IRS rear, especially on street tires. Drag radials are recommended to prevent damaging wheelhop.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Yes I am a member over there.

As far as launching the car, I appreciate the advice. Although I really wanted to get an automatic I just couldn't pass up the car I go. It was by far the nicest one I found and looked at a bunch of them. I do plan on going to drag radials, or possibly a full slick, but before I do anything to the car I want to see where I am stock. As far as launching the car it wont be a problem. I have been drag racing since I was 16, I am almost 40 now. I have had my fair share of manuals and believe it or not the GTO is probably the easiest manual to launch of everything I've had. That is with traction control on or off. Before the STIR I had an SRT4. That car was by far the hardest car I've ever had to launch. Not only was it a front wheel drive, but when the turbo "came in" it hit so hard that it was almost impossible to keep from completely losing traction. My first night at the drag strip was a learning experience. To say the least. My first run was a 15.4. After 10 plus runs I was finally able to get a best of a 13.69 completely stock. Needless to say I went to a full slick and that fixed the problem.

Memphisheat
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisheat View Post
Yes I am a member over there.
Cool. I'm GulfcoastGoat over there. Like you, I've been drag racing at the local tracks since 16 also, 46 now.
I bought my 06 new, and have done nearly all the mods myself, including tuning with hptuners, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
Cool. I'm GulfcoastGoat over there. Like you, I've been drag racing at the local tracks since 16 also, 46 now.
I bought my 06 new, and have done nearly all the mods myself, including tuning with hptuners, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks,

I appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's nice to be able to post over here about the new GTOs without having 3-4 trolls run down your car like it was a few years ago. Also a member over at LS1GTO.COM.

I bought my car new also and because the car is so smooth you really don't think your going as fast as you are, The power application isn't so violent and with superior suspension your not struggling to keep control of the car as with the older muscle cars. Mine has the A4 transmission and I now have just over 70,000 miles on it and very am pleased with the car. Still bone stock and averages 21 MPG in town and highway driving.

I love the Stratostreak powered Pontiacs and grew up on them, still own 2 of them also. A 73 T/A 455 T400 and in the process of building a 86 G/P Winston Cup clone with a 455 and a 4L80E to be street driven. As you can see from the signature picture, my favorite form of motorsports is the kind where you have to turn the steering wheel while racing, that's why I'm building a oval track clone for my street car hot rod. I like the road less traveled......................
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-22-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Well I am going to try my hand at the SCCA Solo thing the next one we have coming up. I've never done it before but it looks like alot of fun. I will let you know how it feels to turn while im racing after I try it.

Memphisheat
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After I raced dirt track for a few years I did that 1 season with my 73 T/A in C/Prepared and won the season points in our region. I'd bet you won't think the same about drag racing again after you do it.

After running on an autocross course for a season and going back to dirt I gained a whole lot of smoothness in my driving style and it helped me on dirt to be smoother, and smooth is fast.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM

I hadn't really looked at your signature until now. I am really jealous about the Trans Am. The 73 TA is one of my favorite cars of all time. I think the only car I know that I like more, at least as far as classics go, is the 69 Roadrunners. My wife has a 83 Pontiac Firebird. It is in the process of being restored. It may be sacrilegious to Pontiac fans but for now it is going to be powered by a 455 Buick that I had. The motor is pretty stout. It was built for drag racing and with the cam I had in it it was dynoed at 696hp. I put a more streetable cam in it but it is still probably in the mid to low 600. Of course if you know anything about Pontiac 455s it is a real torque motor. Probably going to swap out the rear end for something around a 3.23 and im sure traction will still be a real problem.

Memphisheat
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 AM

We contemplated high speed turns in Ethyl. Then we got over it I went and looked for the smooth application of power, couldn't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrHjEVLNgok

Got thinking well maybe it is quiet at idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KjaI...Zqq_5u_IvHMYfw

Lady in the last few frames disagrees

So I am thinking maybe the hole in the carpet under the accelerator is an omen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeRaVgCDpgg

Then I got thinking, why do I like this car and it hit me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkBrUZN8aQo

So I had an epiphany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec8yiEM41jI

And I knew I had found my calling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZh1VSGUIjs

Welcome to the new era goat.

Last edited by wrp; 08-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Take them to the track and find out. If your car is stock I would like to know the answer to that question.

Memphisheat
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish I had seen this thread earlier, guess I wasn't watching.

My manual trans 06 GTO when less than a year old, totally stock except drag bags to reduce engine hop, and me driving: 13.607 best out of maybe 1/2 dozen passes.

My 69 Lemans vert "street cruiser" with stock-looking 455, mild 068-style cam, no porting, 3.07 gear, street Firestones, and me driving: 13.666 best out of three passes.

A few years apart between the runs, but very similar track conditions. Hard to believe just how close the two are down the 1/4 in full street trim with no prep.

Absolutely no doubt both cars would be much quicker with sticky tires and an experienced drag racer in the driver's seat, and both could be made to go faster with some simple engine mods, and the GTO could really use some rear suspension upgrades, and the Lemans fuel system isn't quite up to the 1/4 mile... but then it wouldn't be the same sort of comparison. Ethyl doesn't count. And based on my experience racing I don't think either car would last long on the dirt track.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"