THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NOS Pontiac short blocks, what is it worth?

A friend of mine bought a lifetime collection of parts and two cars. 98% second gen TA. In the stash there is NOS short blocks and a singular block. What would a late 70's never used short block be worth, still in the crate, unopened. In one crate was an opened block, with magenta paint on the caps. There was no two letter block code on it but did have the 3 hole motor mount pattern. There was also a 301 short block. Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM

Well my guess is a bunch.
especially if no stamped letter code.
JM2C!

Old 04-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check casting numbers on blocks. This will have an impact on value to most people.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes check dates also

Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
A friend of mine bought a lifetime collection of parts and two cars. 98% second gen TA. In the stash there is NOS short blocks and a singular block. What would a late 70's never used short block be worth, still in the crate, unopened. In one crate was an opened block, with magenta paint on the caps. There was no two letter block code on it but did have the 3 hole motor mount pattern. There was also a 301 short block. Any ideas?
some of those parts came from me over 20 years ago. lol

Old 04-13-2021, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked up a 77 dated SR fitted 557 casting 400 block in the mid 90's for $100 & had it for several years listed as for sale with no interest. Ended up using it in a '77 Y81 T/A project I owned that that the original block was damaged.

If its a fitted 557 casting block, I still wouldn't put much value to it today.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbor was a pontiac guy. He died in an accident quite a while ago. Last year his wife sold and cleaned out his shop. He had a dozen Pontiac motors, amongst many other parts. I was helping her as well as about a half dozen other guys that were 'gearhead' friends of her husbands trying to get the best price. In the end a guy came and bought the whole stash of engines and associated parts for next to nothing.

I would think a block in a crate, or even a nos block def would be worth something, but you may have to wait a long time to find the right guy to sell it to.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

Back in mid 80s i bought a set of RA IV heads from a guy. He had raced a 61 Ventura back in the 70s and was collecting parts to build a race engine. He sold the car and had not owned a Pontiac in over a decade, his last being a late 70s TA he put a Doug Nash 5 speed in. Included in his parts stash was a still in the plastic, strapped to a pallet, NOS 455 SD fitted block. Unfortunately he would not sell that just then but later got very good money for it (late 80s prices).

Old 04-13-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
some of those parts came from me over 20 years ago. lol
Its was a weird collection. He was a car guy but not really a wrencher. You would think there would be a set of heads or an intake but no. Did you ever see his cars?

Old 04-13-2021, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Its was a weird collection. He was a car guy but not really a wrencher. You would think there would be a set of heads or an intake but no. Did you ever see his cars?
was 2 brothers. he could only make englishtown swap meet on sunday when most stuff was gone. would always call me and my friend to see what we were bringing. i went to look at it last year in warminster but thought it would be to hard and long to get money back plus moving and storing it all. cars were not there yet when i looked at it. he lived in a brownston in nyc and you could hardly walk down the hallways. i dropped some stuff off to him on way back from stafford springs swap meet one time.