Old 06-05-2023, 05:35 PM

Default 56-316 Cylinder head freeze plug removal

Hello all, I am trying to prep my new to me 316 and auto trans for install into my 55 wagon. I need to replace the freeze plugs in the rear of the heads prior to installing into the wagon.
I noticed that due to the gusher tubes, they simply just can't be beaten into the head and then pulled back out , without damaging the end of the gusher tube.
I feel i can peel out the middle of the plugs, and use a hack saw blade to cut down the lip. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the center of the plug isn't rusted away, I'd try a self tapping metal screw, (1/4 inch) and pull on it with a pair of vice grips resting the end of the jaws on the head and pull on the handle levering it out.

If you have access to a oxy acetylene cutting torch, you can split the edge of the plug 180 degrees apart, and pull each half out. Cast iron won't be affected by the flame. It's the same way exhaust shops remove a pipe inside of another pipe, but with steel you have to be careful not to get the outer pipe too hot. With cast iron, it won't burn like steel does.

If you don't have a torch, just take the head to an exhaust shop, they do it everyday with exhaust pipes.

Cutting it with a hack saw blade may remove some cast iron from the edge of the hole, possibly leading to a leak, just my thoughts.

That's how I'd approach it, someone else may have other ideas.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-05-2023, 06:36 PM

Its a start for a few of them, i can purchase a small torch. Thanks

Old 06-05-2023, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a hook in a slide hammer?

Old 06-05-2023, 08:32 PM

Thats another good idea. Thanks