EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 10-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fitech EFI Transmission TV Cable Options

Has anyone attached a TV cable to a Fitech EFI and had the transmission shift properly? How did you do it?

My understanding is the Fitech is not the same as a Holley and there isnt many/any bolt on linkage brackets that correct the geometry.

I have never installed a TV cable, so the idea of a bolt on bracket that corrects the geometry is attractive to me. That being said, I do know how to adjust them, but struggle with the concept of having the proper lever arm length on the throttle linkage. It would seem this is critical, as the lever arm length would change the rate of cable pull, of course resulting in a changed rate of pressure.

I am not sure if there is a specific lever arm length that is standard to give a fixed rate of cable pull. I cold certainly make a bracket to achieve that and check pressures, but I am curious to see what other have done.

Again, this is with the Fitech Fuel injection., which is not the same as a Holley.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send JLMounce a PM. He's been playing around with the FiTech for quite a while and may have some ideas.

I've made my own starting with a Lokar kit and modified it from there on other EFI setups that didn't offer anything. One being the FAST throttle body, and it really wasn't that difficult to do. That was after first making something for the 57 Ford TeaPot carburetor, as you can imagine nothing made for those either. Worked great.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-13-2020, 12:30 PM

I have used this bracket on both of my Fitech throttle bodies.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-121. Shift points seem OK to me.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

I neglected to mention I am considering a 2004R transmission, the holley bracket seems intended for a 700R4 transmission, not sure if they are different.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

For a FiTech you want a Holley 20-121 kickdown bracket. You will have to cut a notch in it for clearance.

If you have not yet purchased a transmission, you might consider going with a 4l80e or a 4l60e built to handle your power. You'd use the Casper Electronics breakout harness for direct TPS signal at this point.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:57 PM

Default TV Cable

You said in post 1 you would have no problem fabricating a bracket so here you go. Go to "California Performance Transmissions" (Art Carr) click on "Technical Information" at left, scroll to "TV Cable Adjustment" and click. There's everything you need to know including the dimensions and geometry for a bracket you can make and fasten to your FI Tech Throttle Plate arm in Diagram 2.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funride View Post
I neglected to mention I am considering a 2004R transmission, the holley bracket seems intended for a 700R4 transmission, not sure if they are different.
On my older throttle body I had to notch as suggested. The newer same model throttle body was a bolt on. Both cars have 200-4r transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spectre_Linkage.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	551346  

Old 10-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

WOW, thank you. This takes all the guess work out of it, the Art Carr information makes it possible to buy a suggested bracket and mount it up and verify it is making the proper sweep. If not, for the money its a great place to start and tweak until its right. Perfect. I would check pressures/shifts anyhow to make sure I had the cable tension correct, but this solves the geometry concern I had. Hopefull the Holley 20-121 is nearly a bolt on an go.

My goal is to have an overdrive in place for the spring. There are a few options on the table......Gear Vendors, 2004R (appealing since there is no need to modify much to include the exhaust I just put in), and 4L80E. Now at least I feel the TV cable isnt a hurdle for my comparison.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Senior Chief

milkcrateracing: What bracket are you using to hold the throttle and TV cables in the picture you supplied?

I have a drop base air cleaner (All Star Performance ALL25943 - 1.625" drop) to clear the hood on my 68 Firebird, since I am using the Crosswinds intake (Performer RPM), I need to consider if the drop base will hit the cables/bracket.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:33 AM

Fast has all you need. And yes, you still need to drill a hole in the bracket

Old 10-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

QUOTE"milkcrateracing: What bracket are you using to hold the throttle and TV cables in the picture you supplied?

I have a drop base air cleaner (All Star Performance ALL25943 - 1.625" drop) to clear the hood on my 68 Firebird, since I am using the Crosswinds intake (Performer RPM), I need to consider if the drop base will hit the cables/bracket."

It appears to be a 4150 carb Morse cable plate/bracket combo.
Summit and others sell a house version.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1419?rrec=true

Old 11-19-2022, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

Reviving an old thread as I have a 200-4R waiting to install and I'm running a FITECH.

It looks like TCI makes a kit with everything needed. I was wondering what those that have done the swap think of the kit.

https://www.tciauto.com/tcir-tv-cabl...lley-carb.html

Old 11-20-2022, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

That kit looks nice, but it may or may not work out of the box. I "think" the Fitech linkage is a little different than a Holley as far as geometry goes, but honestly it has been a while since I have thought about this, I ended up going with a manual transmission instead of auto and "really" like it.

If you buy that kit you would need to verify the geometry, if the geometry is correct then it will work, if not then you would have to mess with it some. As indicated above, you can get the geometry off the Art Carr information.

"the Art Carr information makes it possible to buy a suggested bracket and mount it up and verify it is making the proper sweep. If not, for the money its a great place to start and tweak until its right. Perfect. I would check pressures/shifts anyhow to make sure I had the cable tension correct, but this solves the geometry concern I had. Hopefully the Holley 20-121 is nearly a bolt on an go."

Bowler transmission made a kit for the Fitech, but not sure if it's still available.

https://shop.bowlertransmissions.com...31473608392767

I think the best way would be to start with the kit you had, verify the sweep geometry and pressures.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

I saw that bow tie overdrives has a kit for FITECH as well after some more research. They some to come well recommended for OD conversions as well.