Old 03-30-2023, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1971 GTO dash insert help

I purchased a new dash insert for my '71 only to find the fitment was not good and it was a little too long overall.
I am hoping someone here has replaced their '71 dash insert and found one that worked well. Please let me know what you all have found out there for the insert be it good or bad. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr G, you're speaking of the plastic dash bezel? Do you have a PUFFY remolded dash from CA?

To my knowledge, the Parts Place had these dash bezels injection molded several years ago & several dimensions are off. Having to have different adhesive dash appliqués for the original bezels versus the TPP bezel just shows how lacking, the proofing of the reproduction bezel was before actual production.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:00 AM
Senior Chief

No. Not the instrument housing but the fake leather vinyl sticker or insert as described by the host here. Attempted to install on an original bezel but the sticker is too long by about 1/6 of an inch. Trimming will not help as the cut-outs for the gauge openings and heater controls don't match up with the extra material which seems to be right between the right gauge opening and the heater controls. Only way to make it fit would be to remove a small vertical strip in that area. I am hoping that someone has used a reproduction of the 1971 bezel sticker that actually fit an original bezel. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotcha, just read your other post.
One would expect that the '71 only cast. leather appliqué would properly fit an original bezel. Hopefully, Ames can get to the bottom of this with the supplier & get you another correct appliqué that actually fits.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:46 AM
Senior Chief

Probably not. I am told that the disclaimer of "May need a little trimming for optimal fit" applies to these. I guess the term ,a little trimming, is a subjective thing. I was offered a replacement regardless but I will still be in the same position as fitment goes.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:43 AM
Senior Chief

So apparently there is only one company reproducing the 1971 GTO dash insert being REM. So my question is have other '71 owners used this product and if so, did they have difficulty getting it to fit the bezel or was it pretty simple. Thanks.