Old 04-01-2023, 01:57 PM

Default 614 Round Port heads.

What is a fair price to buy or sell a pair of 614 heads. I have an opportunity to buy 2 sets from 2 different sellers.

First set is complete, mild porting but need a valve job They are 1970 production heads.

Second set is complete and ported from what I was told and they are service replacement heads and removed from a running engine last year.

I would think there would be some kind of price difference between production vs service replacement heads.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:00 PM

I think sharing what the sellers are asking might be helpful here.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I think sharing what the sellers are asking might be helpful here.
I prefer not to put my chips on the table.

I was looking for 614s. Found 1 set and agreed to buy them and am sending payment to the verified seller .

While doing so another person contacted me with his set of 614s. Well I am 90% committed to buy them also just because these heads are so hard to find.

Most likely I will have a set for sale once I get both and decide which ones I will keep.

Just don't know a fair price or ballpark asking price. I am not a part price gouger but I do want to make a few $$ when and if I do decide to sell a set.

Hope that helps to explain my situation better

Old 04-01-2023, 03:50 PM

First set - porting adds no value and actually detracts value. Needs a valve job usually means new valves and guides at the very least. As a reference point I sold a bare set of 722s for 3k about 5 years ago, they had no porting work. I had them cleaned and Magnafluxed to verify being free of cracks, they also had never been surfaced.

So I’d say around 3k for those. Even though porting work can’t be seen with the heads installed it matters to those who are in the market for those heads.

Second set - used service replacement heads off a running engine usually means in need of rebuilding.

Complete but used - 2 to 2.5k

Again the porting brings down the value.

Also keep in mind neither set has been verified as being free of cracks at this point, unless they’re torn down and checked that’s a big question. Three thousand dollar heads need to be checked, period.

These heads usually are not that easy to get top buck for unless someone who’s restoring a RAIV car is looking. I sold mine by answering a parts wanted ad, the buyer negotiated my asking price down from 3.5k to a hair less than 3k.

With the number of aluminum aftermarket heads to choose from these days the RAIV heads are really only sought after by high end restoration shops. So be careful that you don’t end up with something that takes years to unload, there might not be enough meat left on the bone with these heads when you do sell them.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
First set - porting adds no value and actually detracts value. Needs a valve job usually means new valves and guides at the very least. As a reference point I sold a bare set of 722s for 3k about 5 years ago, they had no porting work. They were cleaned and Magnafluxed to verify being free of cracks, they also had never been surfaced.

So I’d say around 3k for those. Even though porting work can’t be seen with the heads installed it matters to those who are in the market for those heads.

Second set - used off a running engine usually means in need of rebuilding.

Complete but used - 2 to 2.5k

Again the porting brings down the value.

These heads usually are not that easy to get top buck for unless someone who’s restoring a RAIV car is looking. I sold mine by answering a parts wanted ad, the buyer negotiated my asking price down from 3.5k to a hair less than 3k.

With the number of aluminum aftermarket heads to choose from these days the RAIV heads are really only sought after by high end restoration shops. So be careful that you don’t end up with something that takes years to unload, there might not be enough meat left on the bone with these heads when you do sell them.

Thank you for that answer. It is 100% what I was looking for. I always see these crazy prices from sellers. $4500-$5500 etc and wonder what is true value and what are crackpot prices.

I am always interested in hearing what others think as well. So if anybody reads this and wants to give their thoughts and advice......I'm all ears.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:12 PM

Untouched heads (no porting work which is always questionable in my mind) would add about 1k to the valuations I’ve provided.

Good luck.