Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:06 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
... Keep in mind the BEST ones are only 22% Efficient...
As an engineer, I need to ask: what is your definition of 100% efficiency?

Old 04-18-2023, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
As an engineer, I need to ask: what is your definition of 100% efficiency?
There is NO 100% efficiency, or we would have perpetual motion motors requiring no added energy.
The 20 ish % efficient number is The Solar Industries rating based on the size and amount of power produced at the Ideal temp for the particular solar panel.
There are "stacks" of Solar panels being developed to convert many wavelengths of light which will lead to a higher efficiency.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There is NO 100% efficiency, or we would have perpetual motion motors requiring no added energy.
The 20 ish % efficient number is The Solar Industries rating based on the size and amount of power produced at the Ideal temp for the particular solar panel.
There are "stacks" of Solar panels being developed to convert many wavelengths of light which will lead to a higher efficiency.
I'm playing with a single 325w panel and a 3000w battery. I'm getting as high as 85% of the rating. Not sure where the 20% number your coming up with. Following your written theory, my numbers wouldn't be possible.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I'm playing with a single 325w panel and a 3000w battery. I'm getting as high as 85% of the rating. Not sure where the 20% number your coming up with. Following your written theory, my numbers wouldn't be possible.
I have played with 400 watt panels at a few voltages.
The Efficiency is NOT the % of what the panel is rated at producing..
The Efficiency is the Industry rating for its electricity production based on what its getting in heat and light from the Sun. So They are leaving 75% of available energy on the table.. Solar panels work BEST when cooler, and wire conducts better when its cooler as well. We install them in direct Sun though, so thats heat, which works against electricity production.
A Renogy 100w panel that makes 90 watts is pretty good. But its Not 90% Efficient. Panels are rapidly improving, and some are being made on a type of printing press, others being semi translucent and catching more light in other bands we don't see. These are much more efficient, and can get a lot more power in a much smaller size.
I have found some reflective foil and panels that can get power off the back side work the best of what we can get at this point.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Real savings come from building and renovating homes with " waist up" low voltage DC power. Just reducing DC , which panels produce, vs converting to AC, then back to DC to run those new DC LED lights is a waste.
LED light bulbs Don't last for 33 years they claim because there is a cheap transformer and bridge rectifier in the base which heats up and burns out.. the actual 5 volt bulb is Still good.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Real savings come from building and renovating homes with " waist up" low voltage DC power. Just reducing DC , which panels produce, vs converting to AC, then back to DC to run those new DC LED lights is a waste.
LED light bulbs Don't last for 33 years they claim because there is a cheap transformer and bridge rectifier in the base which heats up and burns out.. the actual 5 volt bulb is Still good.
That certainly clears up your definition. I didn't take it that way and I would bet Jack didn't either. I guess that's why they rate them at their rating vs. saying it's a 1625w panel that produces 20% of it's rating. 100% efficiency may never be achieved.