67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-30-2023, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Firebird 15x9 wheels

I have a friend with a 68 Firebird and I am looking at putting 15 x 9 wheels with 4 3/4 backspacing. Pretty sure they will fit in the back. I concern is the front. Is anyone running a 15 x 9 wheel in the front? I will be putting new front and rear springs in as the current ones are pretty worn out.

Looking for anyone’s experience on this before I buy front and rear tires to go with the rims that we already have.

Old 04-30-2023, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

A 15x9 may be problematic in both the front and the rear. The interference will come from the tire rod ends in the front and the lower shock mounts in the rear.

Both have a tendency to contact the tire or the wheel rim.

Many 17x9’s are fitted to these cars because the wheel hoop is large enough that the suspension rides inside.

Without careful measurement I would be Leary about putting anything larger than a 15x8 in the rear and a 15x7 in the front. One the 67-68 cars you can get away with a wider wheel and tire in the rear if you don’t mind a little poke.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason, truly appreciate the quick response. What you just said, makes absolute perfect sense!
Thanks again.
Doug

Old 04-30-2023, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason, truly appreciate the quick response. What you just said makes absolute perfect sense!
Thanks again.
Doug