Old 04-23-2023, 07:10 PM

Default clutch adjustment

I have a stock 63 Lemans with the 336 engine. I had the flywheel turned down to get rid of all stress cracks. I have replaced the clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing, both propeller shaft bearings (and pillow blocks), had the transmission rebuilt as well as the rear end (pumpkin). I had to get a longer clutch adjustment rod because it was adjusted all the way forward and it still wasn't enough length to get it to where it needed to be. So I found a new one for a 58 Impala that had to be machined down on the side of the treaded part to fit through the linkage. By doing this I had an extra 1 1/2 inches for the adjustment that I felt I needed.

Now the issue I'm having is even after I've adjusted the clutch per the manual (and it feels great), while the car is in neutral, clutch out and the rearend is off the ground, the rear tires will spin. They can stop be stopped by someone grabbing them to slow down to a stop, but they will start spinning again once you let go. With the car on the ground, running and in neutral the car does not want to move forward at all. I would have thought the tires shouldn't spin at all. So, is this correct, or is there an issue?

I don't want to burn up the clutch and pressure plate. As anyone would say that has done this job before, it is the worse job on this car.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2023, 08:52 PM

I would say YES, The friction of the gears and oils are going to want to make the output shaft want to turn. As you say, it doesn't turn when on the ground, because the tires on the ground have more resistance than the friction of the gears and the oils do to propel the output shaft.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:38 AM

Thanks Ron.

I was hoping this was normal.