67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:21 PM

Default Starter pinion gear Question

On a stock 326, stock style starter (not mini), how far into the flex plate ring gear should the pinion gear travel?

Old 02-09-2023, 12:29 AM

Let me be a bit more specific in my question as I just reread my post and it seems to leave a bit to be desired.

I'm referring to the thrust travel of the pinion gear into the flex plate ring gear when the solenoid is fully engaged.

Earlier today, I was underneath the car attempting to perform the paperclip clearance check of the pinion gear to the ring gear valley clearance (.020 - .035), and using battery power connected to the starter S terminal to engage the solenoid, I noticed that the pinion engages all the way through the ring gear plus about 1/16".

This is a Powermaster 3655 which is basicly a stock style (not mini) starter.

I see in the instructions there is a minimal clearance from pinion to ring gear when the starter is not engaged. But nothing about the fully engaged thrust travel.

The reason I am enquiring is that I've read that on Chevy starters, the pinion is only supposed to engage about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way into the ring gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230207_163533.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	606911  

Old 02-09-2023, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have relegated the paper clip method to the junk box as it is extremely unpredictable for a properly functioning starter motor. Instead, I use a 1/8" Allen key that is placed between the pinion gear shaft and the starter ring. The key should just go in between but not be able to turn, then the distance will be perfect.

With worn out parts the pinion gear travel will be less than optimum, i would like to see full engagement of the gear.

FWIW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinion clearance check.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	606916  

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 11:18 AM

Thank you Kenth, that sounds better than the paper clip method..

Old 02-19-2023, 11:36 AM

I adjusted my starter drive shaft to ring gear tooth to the 1/8" clearance method using a 1/8" welding rod which was easier to bend and get up there than the Allen.

I had (2) .050" shims giving me that 1/8" clearance, and also while down there, I had a paper clip readily available so I checked that ring gear valley and had clearance there also.

I engaged the solenoid and had good thrust into the ring gear, and clearance between the bendix and the ring gear also which was good.

But when I tried starting it, it was definitely making an engagement noise that sounded like the starter was too close. And occasionally the starter would not turn but the solenoid would engage making me think it was hitting the ring gear but not engaging enough to trigger the starter motor.

So just for laughs and giggles, I added a .025" shim and the noise got considerably less and the no-start thing went away.

I have one more .025" shim, and I'm thinking about putting it in but with the clearance already being in excess of that 1/8" shaft to ring gear, and with the paper clip already loose in its ring gear valley, would adding another shim be a good idea?

Old 05-06-2023, 11:58 AM

I solved the starter issue by adding more shims.
About .141" (4 shims) seems to be right for this setup.
The thing that befuddled me is that I was using the 1/8" Allen Key method at first, and that required a shimming of around. 050"-.100", but there was hit and miss starter pinion engagement.
Now that the extra shims have been added, and the issues resolved. I'm considerably over the 1/8" Allen measurement.
Anyhow , thanks for the advice.