EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 05-19-2023, 04:47 PM

Default Acceleration stumble cause?

I think i migth have too much breathers/ventilation on the engine. I think what is going on is the pcv inhales trough 1x breather and 1x fresh air line coupled too aircleaner -> valve cover. causing too much unmetered air in the intakmanifold diuting the the AFR. O2 sensor sees it fraction of a secound later and over corrects. after capping off my breather and restricting the fresh air line. til i have vaccum in the crank case have made acceleration work a lot better.
Does this sound like an reasonable cause?

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 05-19-2023, 11:23 PM

Sounds like you need a bigger accelerator pump shot, or whatever the equivalent is in your EFI system.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:48 AM

I have been gradually increasing all 6 acceleration enrichments to the point of beeing almost ridiculous, 3 MAP based and 3 TPS based. but restricting fresh air line ( 3/8 hose) to a little less then the pcv size( also a 3/8 hose) and plugging of 1 free flowing breather on the oppsite valvecover has almost cured it. only dead punching it from a dig vil give me a little bit of a problem. I have reset my base fuel table and all acceleration enrichment 2 days ago since the even mild transients gave me problems. I am going to get the ME Wagner pcv valve and dial it in perfectly.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 05-22-2023, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what your PCV setup is but it sounds rather elaborate??

What ever it is, or what ever amount of added air you're inducing into the intake charge, it'll have to be compensated with more fuel if you're having stumble issues. You'll need to revisit and dial in the base fuel table pretty darn close before you even begin to mess with any of the AE tables.

I've found this to be the case any time I've changed the diameter of the fixed orifice PCV or any time I even adjust the throttle to dial in the IAC, I have to go back and tweak the main fuel table.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-22-2023, 11:01 AM

yes that seems to be the case i have juggeling around 3 different pcv valves, none of them are perfect at both idle and cruise. and they seem to have a lagre difference in flow at any given engine operating conditions. some pull vacuum at cruise, some pull vacuum at idle. so for now i have come to temporarly solution where is use a pcv stamped 2020 that seems to have the most flow at idle. and i have restricted the clean air intake to a sligthly less diameter so it pulls a little vacuum in most operating conditions, acceleration now works a lot better.

Before the car would nose over at part thottle. and bog/buck. this is now gone, but i like to make a permanet solution insted of jerry rigging restictions etc. i believe i can dial in the M/E wagner to my liking.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:02 AM

Solved! I belive the jerry rigged PCV and all other PCV/breather setup was wrong for the engine.
The solution to my problems was Fresh airline from aircleaner housing to valve cover. ME wagner dualflow pcv from valleypan to front vacuum port on sniper efi (1/4" npt barb fitting) and lining the rubber hose with a section of copper pipe to avoid collapsing the rubber line under heat and different vacuum states.
Now acceleration is working great at any speed, and too booth my IAC is a lot more stable.
Been running this since june and til now, with no problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to djustice For This Useful Post: