Old 05-31-2023, 04:59 PM

Default Anybody ever rebuild the reverse lockout linkage for a 400/4-Speed?

I'm rebuilding the reverse lockout linkage for my '79. During a drive home, I noticed my reverse lights were staying on... sure enough, I get underneath the car, and the lower control rod coming from the trans spontaneously unattached, I'm guessing the hairpin style clip just fell off. All the bushings are very worn and there's some rods that are missing correct washers, wave washers, etc, thus the rebuild.

The kit I got contains one of the original style locks/retainers that fasten the idler lever to the support pin. This kind:

Here it is installed on a idler lever and support assembly for '69 Camaro:

I can't figure out how you're supposed to fasten this type of retainer. I know that I can just take the easy way out and use a C-Clip, but I'd rather use original hardware if I have it at my disposal. Plus, C-Clips are a lot thinner than this retainer, so I probably wouldn't have as tight a fit and would end up having some side-to-side play when it's assembled.

Are you supposed to slide the support pin into the round opening of the retainer, and then use a drift or punch to bend down the the angled tab so that it sort of uses the pin as a fulcrum to apply tension and lock in place?

Because it looks like if I just slide it onto the pin and do nothing else, it'll just fall right off.

I'd appreciate the help.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 05-31-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:25 PM
Suspended

It's tensioned by the fold. The opening for the shaft is only large enough to slip on when it it flattened out. It locks up at any location it is released. Similar are used on exhaust hangers

Old 06-01-2023, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
It's tensioned by the fold. The opening for the shaft is only large enough to slip on when it it flattened out. It locks up at any location it is released. Similar are used on exhaust hangers
Gooootcha. Thank you! I haven't even tried to install it yet, so now I know what to expect