Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:39 AM

Looks great. Something you will WANT to do.
Hiwin has friction fit caps that go into the counter bores for the cap screws on the linear rails.
It may or may not require some disassembly to put them in based on if you can move stuff far enough out of the way.
The caps allow the wipers on the bearing to clear off the rails.
Having the caps in place will keep chips n shat from falling into counter bores and getting into the linear bearings.
Also, not sure what bearing you have but you can also get extra wipers for the linear bearings so you can put 2 on each end of them.
That would require you to have access to bearing blocks to install. Just gives extra protection for the saw dust chips you will make with light cuts.

Last edited by Pav8427; 01-12-2023 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Adding content
The Following User Says Thank You to Pav8427 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the plugs for the rails ... just haven't installed them yet ... I don't think I'll need them on the X as the rails are upside down.

I'll definitely look into the wipers, I've seen a need for more protection there already ... might be iffy to find for these Chinesium blocks, they appear to be slightly different in dimensions than HWIN.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorg1 View Post
Very nice and I am sure a great learning experience thanks for sharing.

Possibly your next project will be adding ball-screws and a control to that knee mill of yours?

Dave
Thanks Dave.

Hopefully a new knee mill is in the cards a year or so from now. I've promised this old one to a friend for free when I get a new one ... if he wants to drive down from Maine and pick it up.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just watched this. EDM. I liked the part where he used 3D printing
to stamp reinforcement ribs. Didn't understand much, but I know
where some of the smart guys are hanging out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeCxkFVCdM

Old 03-21-2023, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that guy does some nice work. Going to have to watch that on the big screen tonight.

Now that it's warming up a bit, going to have to get back down in the shop and finish the little CNC mill. It had a software problem a couple of months ago and sitting in the 50 degree shop diagnosing software on a laptop is cold and lonely work.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fun to watch, thanks.

I liked his 3D-printed stamping dies!

I met a guy last week that retired from Kem-Kut in PA. They developed photo-chemical etching equipment and processes back in the 60s. He had some good stories. The parts in the video reminded me of photo-chemical etched parts.

Mike

Old 05-12-2023, 03:36 PM

Read an article a few years back where they totaly 3D printed a 1911 in .40 Cal. (I think)
Only thing they didnt print was the springs.
Totaly operational with quite a few rounds through it.
Pretty amazing stuff.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:42 AM
Suspended

I need a reference that I know is perpendicular to the surface of the rail mount.