Old 02-17-2023, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Wiring diagram help??

So I have a 2003 Holden Caprice with the LS1 engine. I thought the alternator had died (it may well have done so), so I bought a new genuine alternator.

Pulled out the old one and was a bit shocked to find the thick cable was burnt away where it attaches to the alternator. It was hanging on literally by about 3 fine copper strands. Some super heat there or more likely high resistance?

I think the simple answer would be to run a new cable but does it run directly from the alternator to the positive pole on the battery?? Or does it transit somewhere else??

My thinking is to simply cut out the heavy cable at the battery but leave the other smaller cables alone and route the new heavy cable directly from the battery to the alternator.

My other question though is why would this happen in the first place??

Thanks, Ian

Old 03-02-2023, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Run it straight to the +battery post.