Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Buying new electric trailer brake magnets. Buy best ?

I want to replace my open trailer brake magnets.Mine are 45yrs old. What are the best product for the money? I see on net different ads, various prices. Thanks Bob

Old 04-17-2023, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When one of my magnets failed I went to an RV place and the guy told me it was more cost effective to just replace the whole backing plate to include the brake assembly which at the time was around $60.00

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I did that on enclosed trailer I had and sold. My brake shoes are almost new on this trailer.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
When one of my magnets failed I went to an RV place and the guy told me it was more cost effective to just replace the whole backing plate to include the brake assembly which at the time was around $60.00
I would also suggest doing this!

Normally the magnets fail for 2 reasons...One the little spring clip that holds it to the actuating rod gets weak or comes out, allowing the magnet to rock back & forth on the actuating rod. This wears down the rod & even when you put a new magnet on it, you will still have the same problem! If you could buy the magnet with the clip AND the actuating rod together then I would say leave the brake pads & backing plate on there....to my knowledge, you cannot! Number 2 reason the magnets go bad is because you are using a JUNK brake controller! (obviously the OP is not, because they have lasted a long time.) For those who continually have issues with magnets failing...Buy a good Tekonsha controller & do not set the initial settings (usually 1-4) too high for the weight of your trailer. Stay lower on that setting & add gain depending on the weight of the load (this is usually controlled by the "thumb knob")

I pull my trailers for my business 120-155k miles per year transporting everyone's toys all over the country & I can't remember the last time a magnet failed. There are times when I changed loaded backing plates because of my anal maintenance schedule, more than wear on the actual pieces! I do not enjoy breakdowns & since I am not homeless... I like getting home to work on my cars, spend time with the wife & sleeping in my own bed!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
X2, I did the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I want to replace my open trailer brake magnets.Mine are 45yrs old. What are the best product for the money? I see on net different ads, various prices. Thanks Bob
Have you done anything else in the past (45) years
to the trailer braking system ?

If not - you are long overdue on scheduled
maintenance.

My current all aluminum enclosed custom
car hauler trailer is getting new brake
backing plates - wheel bearings - seals
along with brake drums this Saturday.

Preventative maintenance is a must.

See @ http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=Trailer

Jim

Last edited by Trulyvintage; 04-18-2023 at 11:55 AM.