Old 04-15-2023, 09:53 PM

Default 7040273

I will start by saying there is no possible way I am willing to buy the real deal 7040273 with the asking prices I see them at.

I will also say my car is a Standard 1970 GTO that I am going to be building a ra iv engine for. So it will never be numbers matching.

The carb is made by the parts place. Yes I know some of the parts are sub par from them and some others are very decent.

Does anybody have direct experience with their repro 7040273 carb or other repro carbs from them? Wondering how close they look like an original and if it's manufactured by Rochester? Is it actually stamped 7040273?

Any info at all is appreciated. I am not looking to fool anyone but don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb either.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

It say´s remanufactured if it´s this You refer to: https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...arge-150/44015

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:39 PM

Yes it's 100% remanufactured. Please excuse my ignorance.......does that mean it's not a Rochester? It's a Chinese made carb?

Does anybody know who manufactures them now?

Old 04-17-2023, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The carb in picture is a "regular" 1969-70 Pontiac Q-jet that is now destroyed/restamped with a stamped (NOT cast) number that not belongs to it.

And, imagine an ignorant byer sending in their original 7040273 M/T RamAir Quadrajet, worth thousands of dollars and receive this "frankencarb" in exchange, just to later realize the fraud!

Buyer beware!

FWIW

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
The carb in picture is a "regular" 1969-70 Pontiac Q-jet that is now destroyed/restamped with a stamped (NOT cast) number that not belongs to it.

And, imagine an ignorant byer sending in their original 7040273 M/T RamAir Quadrajet, worth thousands of dollars and receive this "frankencarb" in exchange, just to later realize the fraud!

Buyer beware!

FWIW

If a buyer is silly enough to not pay the $150 core charge and goes and sends their original 7040273 in for an exchange. Shame on that person for not doing research and believing a new carb costing 1/10th of the price wouldn't be legit.

I do not see any "FRAUD" as you call it being done by the business. It clearly states remanufactured and in no place says its original or 100% identical.

All emblems, mouldings, trim almost every car part that is remanufactured has the wrong style part # or incorrect radius bend, or a number of other inaccurate issues of an original.

I would hardly call them frauds. It's reproduction. It is what it is.

I was looking to get advice such as the following

"Decent reprouction carb, made of quality parts and ran well"

"Stay away, chinese made, not correct cfm for ram air carb and had many issues"

"Incorrect top pleate on carb doesn't look close to original etc"

By your words if any of our cars have repruction parts they are frauds and frankensteins.... or am I taking it wrong?

Old 04-17-2023, 09:16 AM

Maybe the Parts place could give you more info on what they are actually selling.

Since I've haven't personally rebuilt a QJ, I bought a couple decent 7042272's off eBay (my car is an auto) and sent them out to two different rebuilders. The price was comparable to the one you are referencing and I know what I have.

Since your not building an original car, I'd skip the expensive cores for more rare cars and get something that's close.

I bought an extra spare I plan to rebuild myself as well. I want to check that off my bucket list.

Good luck.

Last edited by Skidmark; 04-17-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Maybe the Parts place could give you more info on what they are actually selling.

Since I've haven't personally rebuilt a QJ, I bought a couple decent 7042272's off eBay (my car is an auto) and sent them out to two different rebuilders. The price was comparable to the one you are referencing and I know what I have.

Since your not building an original car, I'd skip the expensive cores for more rare cars and get something that's close.

I bought an extra spare I plan to rebuild myself as well. I want to check that off my bucket list.

Good luck.
You are 100% correct and I will definitely consider buying a different # original pontiac carb. Especially since my car won't be a matching # vehicle and I would rather an electric choke anyhow.

I want to find some more info out about this repro before I make a decision. If it's a quality carb I wouldnt mind giving it a chance.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70geeteeohh View Post
If a buyer is silly enough to not pay the $150 core charge and goes and sends their original 7040273 in for an exchange. Shame on that person for not doing research and believing a new carb costing 1/10th of the price wouldn't be legit.

I do not see any "FRAUD" as you call it being done by the business. It clearly states remanufactured and in no place says its original or 100% identical.

All emblems, mouldings, trim almost every car part that is remanufactured has the wrong style part # or incorrect radius bend, or a number of other inaccurate issues of an original.

I would hardly call them frauds. It's reproduction. It is what it is.

I was looking to get advice such as the following

"Decent reprouction carb, made of quality parts and ran well"

"Stay away, chinese made, not correct cfm for ram air carb and had many issues"

"Incorrect top pleate on carb doesn't look close to original etc"

By your words if any of our cars have repruction parts they are frauds and frankensteins.... or am I taking it wrong?
So it's not a NEW MANUFACTURED one we're talking about.
It is an original 1969-70 Pontiac Quadrajet that has had its application number ground off and then had a high-performance Ram Air number stamped on it instead.
This can hardly be compared to newly manufactured reproduction parts.
I have never understood why people destroy these carburetors as there are many who are looking for an original "regular" Quadrajet. And if you now KNOW that the carburetor does not correspond to the newly stamped number why would you even want it? There is more than a stamped number that separates a standard Qjet from a RamAir Qjet so why even bother cheating the number?

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 04-17-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70geeteeohh View Post
I will start by saying there is no possible way I am willing to buy the real deal 7040273 with the asking prices I see them at.

I will also say my car is a Standard 1970 GTO that I am going to be building a ra iv engine for. So it will never be numbers matching.

The carb is made by the parts place. Yes I know some of the parts are sub par from them and some others are very decent.

Does anybody have direct experience with their repro 7040273 carb or other repro carbs from them? Wondering how close they look like an original and if it's manufactured by Rochester? Is it actually stamped 7040273?

Any info at all is appreciated. I am not looking to fool anyone but don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb either.
If you're willing to pay "The Parts Place" price, I'd consider going just a bit higher for the real thing from Quadrajet Power: https://quadrajetpower.com/pontiac-1...rajet-7040263/

I've been to his shop and was stunned at the inventory he had. Nothing but quality work done with a high level of expertise. I was extremely pleased with the restoration and rebuild of mine.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
So it's not a NEW MANUFACTURED one we're talking about.
It is an original 1969-70 Pontiac Quadrajet that has had its application number ground off and then had a high-performance Ram Air number stamped on it instead.
This can hardly be compared to newly manufactured reproduction parts.
I have never understood why people destroy these carburetors as there are many who are looking for an original "regular" Quadrajet. And if you now KNOW that the carburetor does not correspond to the newly stamped number why would you even want it? There is more than a stamped number that separates a standard Qjet from a RamAir Qjet so why even bother cheating the number?

And what you wrote is 100% the problem for me. I do not know what separates the carbs from each other. I would think a 7040273 is a bigger cfm than a 7040263 and I'm sure there is more.

I don't even understand the difference between manual and automatic pontiac carbs besides the part #s.

I've always had bowties and holleys, demons, quickfuels etc. This is my first time ever with the quadrajet carbs.

I am just trying to get my ram air 4 engine to look somewhat original/nostalgic without the nasty pricetag.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not find a 1970 Pontiac 400 carb in rebuildable condition and calibrate it to your current RAIV engine? There are services that will do that for you if you're not interested in doing it yourself.
I have a 1974 400-455 carb that was set up that way for my 1968 engine and it works flawlessly.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Why not find a 1970 Pontiac 400 carb in rebuildable condition and calibrate it to your current RAIV engine? There are services that will do that for you if you're not interested in doing it yourself.
I have a 1974 400-455 carb that was set up that way for my 1968 engine and it works flawlessly.

That is definitely an option thats on the table.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakansan View Post
It say´s remanufactured if it´s this You refer to: https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...arge-150/44015
I call fraud and false advertisement. No where in the add does it state that it is an original RESTAMPED Pontiac Quadrajet. I agree with Kenth, Reading their ad gives me the feeling that they need an original 7040273 for one of their own cars and are fishing for someone to send one in as a core.
Makes me wonder what they would send you if you needed a 71 455 H.O no booster ring Quadrajet!

Old 04-17-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuchma View Post
I call fraud and false advertisement. No where in the add does it state that it is an original RESTAMPED Pontiac Quadrajet. I agree with Kenth, Reading their ad gives me the feeling that they need an original 7040273 for one of their own cars and are fishing for someone to send one in as a core.
Makes me wonder what they would send you if you needed a 71 455 H.O no booster ring Quadrajet!
Despite the "Bait and hook" scheme that you and Kenth are alleging...... yes I agree they would be getting a hell of a carb for the $150 core price which im sure everybody just pays.

If I or anyone would pay the $699 (no core) for a totally remanufactured 1970 quadrajet......despite the fake restamped #

Isn't that a fair deal ?

By the way the parts place has many other restamped # carbs, remanufactured Muncie 4 speed transmissions and the list goes on and on. I have bought many many parts from them and haven't been let down so far.

But yes......its reproduction quality always.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:26 PM

Sure that is a fair deal. Just make sure all the internal passages are reprogramed for the duration of that RAIV cam, if you are going that route. If not, you won't have any idle quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSuchma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuchma View Post
Sure that is a fair deal. Just make sure all the internal passages are reprogramed for the duration of that RAIV cam, if you are going that route. If not, you won't have any idle quality.
So on an old school holley if you had a long duration cam and she was running fat you would keep the butterflies in the idle transfer slots and start small and drill holes in the butterflies to improve idle quality. Slowly increasing the size until it ran correctly. Demon carbs had this same concept manufactured into the idle-Eze adjustment of their carbs.

This isn't how a quadrajet works as well?

Old 04-17-2023, 08:53 PM

All the 69-70 ram air Quadrajets had the idle bypass air holes drilled in the throttle blades from the factory. The idle fuel and air passages are found internally in the body and need too be resized as well on a non ram air carb.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSuchma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read it ages ago, and will repeat it for the benefit of anyone willing to read:

1) Any 70 carb can be a set up as a perfect substitute.
2) I would never advocate a restamp (ect).
3) I have understood that the way a 7040263 fuel bowl is finished makes it a near dead ringer for a 270/273 - which is why twenty years ago most oftherestampswere based n this carb core.

A 7040263 visually is a dead-ringer for a 270/273;
The only outward difference (any only if you look really close, and know what to look for) is the provisions for pull over enrichment on the airhorn - but you can swap a 1968 airhorn in place, or remove the tubes (and if you want, plug the feed holes) if you want it to be functionally identical.

The only issue is finding a carb that hasn't been "remanufactured" and fiddled with already.

The last 7040263 I bought was from a member here who was going to send it in for a $200 core - so I paid him the core, and had him ship it to me on my dime.

My understanding is that while the idle bypass holes were present on most, the early OE 1969 270/273 did not have them;
I also understood that they were used on all OE 0270 & 0273- as well as all 9270 & 9273 SR carbs.

I also believe that the earliest '69 270/273 were in fact carry overs from the RAII program - so they would be '8270/'8273

Attached is a throttle body of a '8270.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7028270 XG 3117 04.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	610983  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 04-18-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:23 PM

Rather than purchasing that particular PP reproduction of a Ram Air carb I’d contact one of the carburetor experts that frequent the forum. I would suggest Jeff (shaker455) who is one of the best carburetor guys, I’ve read nothing but rave reviews about his work.

I’d bet he could (using the most correct core) duplicate the features and calibration of the 7040273, whether or not you care about having the correct number stamped on it.

The place where it gets sticky is restamping the carb body, which some here would consider to be fraud. With the Ram Air setup in place I’d guess the numbers are difficult to see anyway.

I like the idea of having a small business operator working on my carb who is detail oriented and actually cares about the final product and stands behind his work, rather than dealing with a big parts house with too much going on to provide the very best in carburetor rebuilds and restorations.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2023, 07:35 PM

Amen b-man!!! The water of a large business gets muddy down stream.