Old 05-08-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 66 tri power regulater

Was wondering if anyone had a decent pic of how they ran a fuel pressure regulator with a 66 tri power...............i just had the motor redone, pump is 12 yrs old now, seems to be working so far.........thought of buying a new pump, seems the pressure is all over the place with these things lately..........right now im using this stainless hose, so far so good, no issues.

Was wondering if running a hard line would be better, not sure how that would look.

Heres the best pics i have .............any suggestions for something better.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taking motor apart (4).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	612208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taking motor apart (14).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	612209  

Old 05-09-2023, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the AMES Catalog. They have pumps that deliver less than 6 psi, which is what we need for Tri-Power and Quadrajets.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-09-2023, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would skip the filter before the pump as it restricts flow.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 05-09-2023, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
I would skip the filter before the pump as it restricts flow.
Thanks for that info, will have to see where i can put that, not like i have much room under there.

Also checked with ames, the n128pf they have for the fuel pump is a carter M4507

Rich

Old 05-12-2023, 09:06 AM

This is the cleanest install of a pressure regulator I have seen. Did something similar on my 65. I think the ames pump will work without it but if you are still having issues regulator is not a ad way to rule it out.

https://pontiactripower.com/products...e3945bab&_ss=r

there are two photos in there that show a clean factory type install

Old 05-12-2023, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why consider a regulator? These cars were built with mechanical fuel pumps that delivered 6 psi or less. 95%+ of issues I read about are about aftermarket fuel pumps, ignition systems, and electric cooling fans. Many have forgotten that these cars ran reliably as built. Ames is the only all-Pontiac vendor. Why not buy parts from them, and, if necessary, ask their knowledgable tech personnel for advice?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-12-2023, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Why consider a regulator? These cars were built with mechanical fuel pumps that delivered 6 psi or less. 95%+ of issues I read about are about aftermarket fuel pumps, ignition systems, and electric cooling fans. Many have forgotten that these cars ran reliably as built. Ames is the only all-Pontiac vendor. Why not buy parts from them, and, if necessary, ask their knowledgable tech personnel for advice?
Dick, i did talk to ames, and ordered from them also...........the fuel pump they sell is the M4507........which i did buy, they are rated for 6.5lbs........

I buy 95% of my parts from ames............but you have to realize they are not making alot of the parts they sell.............case in point, been having issues with my original oil pan, so i took a chance and bought a $80 repo...........i threw it away it was so bad..........then i called ames and bought there OEM pan for a 66...........tech said excately like oem..........$ 189 bucks..........guess what i have to enlarge 4-5 holes just to get it to fit right.

Not bashing AMES in any way...........but they throw the word OEM around rather loosely.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I completely agree, they worked (with some known issues) back in the day.

When I had just got my Tripower up and running ok, but hadn't driven it much, I noticed when sitting it was taking a long time to get fuel back up to carbs. Also had some rust deposits coming form fuel tank...

Replaced fuel tank cleaned lines. I bought a fuel pump from Ames to replace the AC Delco unit I put on in the early 90's. Was no longer loosing prime to carbs when it sat but noticed on my Air fuel ratio meter at idle my AFR would intermittently dip way rich like 11 then come back to 14 or so it seemed to like to idle at ....front carb was over flowing bowl. tore down the carb needle seat float etc, still happening...

put the fuel pressure regulator on and it stopped happening.

Conversely it had an intermittent over heating issue, would be fine at 195-200 ish then shoot up, typically after a good long run at speed.... All the advice I got on the GTO forum was need a cold case radiator, flowkooler pump, electric fans etc. All I needed was a new fan clutch. when engine was hot and clutch needed to engage when I slowed down or stopped there wasn't enough airflow...

Old 05-13-2023, 12:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with Dick B on old factory fuel pumps.

Some of the fuel pumps sold today (made in China) have a history of a higher pressure fuel spring that causes the unregulated fuel (at the carb) to see 9 psi fuel pressure.

So what was the brand and fuel pressure setting you now have??

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Agree with Dick B on old factory fuel pumps.

Some of the fuel pumps sold today (made in China) have a history of a higher pressure fuel spring that causes the unregulated fuel (at the carb) to see 9 psi fuel pressure.

So what was the brand and fuel pressure setting you now have??

Tom V.
Tom, the pump i had on was a airtex 40373..........no idea on the pressure, never had any issues with the carbs..........they were done by Dick B..........instead of the needle & seats, i have the check ball deal from Mike Wasson.......supposed to handle a little more pressure.

Reason i was asking about this is, the pumps now are mostly offshore, i assumed i would have some issues with this, so i thought chances are im gonna have some issues, thats why i thought i would use a regulator and be done with it............the pumps Ames sells are the carter M4507 which state 6.5 psi............thought it would be easier this way, instead of putting on the fuel pump.........sky high pressure............than having to put a regulator on it while the motor is in the car.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:59 PM
Boost Engineer

Gage might be off .5 psi so if at 6.5 could be under 6 psi and good to go.
Might work great with just a factory type mechanical fuel pump.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.