Old 05-16-2023, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default car overheating , need advice

have new rebuilt engine , new rad ,new water pump new everything . car is running hot about 220 not sure what to do

Old 05-16-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

50 plus pages here talking about cast iron water pump impellers, but it may help you out, if not in that thread the cooling system section has a lot of good advice in it, and cooling system troubleshooting tips:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...+iron+impeller

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...play.php?f=420

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-16-2023, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What thermostat?
Make sure the water level is correct? No trapped air in system.
Also is the fan shroud there and original?
Which fan?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
What thermostat?
Make sure the water level is correct? No trapped air in system.
Also is the fan shroud there and original?
Which fan?

have a 180 in it now, maybe air is trapped , fan and shroud are original
what is the best way to get the air out

Old 05-16-2023, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
have new rebuilt engine , new rad ,new water pump new everything . car is running hot about 220 not sure what to do
What's the make/model/year car, and what engine does it have. Was it rebuilt to stock specs, or is it modified.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
have a 180 in it now, maybe air is trapped , fan and shroud are original
what is the best way to get the air out
Air out, Put the car up on ramps and get it warmed up and keep the rad cap off.
How tight are your tolerances?
check the T stat housing with an IR gun. do NOT trust the factory gauges or sender.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What's the make/model/year car, and what engine does it have. Was it rebuilt to stock specs, or is it modified.
1972 formula rebuilt and a bit modified engine

Old 05-17-2023, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Air out, Put the car up on ramps and get it warmed up and keep the rad cap off.
How tight are your tolerances?
check the T stat housing with an IR gun. do NOT trust the factory gauges or sender.
ok will try that, what is a ir gun what the timing

Old 05-17-2023, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IR = infra-red heat gun.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
IR = infra-red heat gun.

i have a mild cam in it having trouble setting the timing, would this also cause to over heat

Last edited by grd777; 05-17-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Possibly.
Retarded distributor timing will cause it.
Also a lean afr.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the engine ran cool before it was rebuilt, I would be looking at what parts of the cooling system were taken apart, and replaced during the rebuild. Chances of a Pontiac becoming air bound, and not working the air out of the system would be unusual. New parts are defective occasionally so yes you could have a faulty thermostat.

This is exactly why I referred you to the posts in the cast iron impeller thread, as well as the cooling system section. You need to know how the cooling system works to figure out what could be causing the problems, guessing seldom works.

Pontiacs aren't well understood by the majority of engine shops and overlooking things like, the rubber bushing seals, and cooling tubes in the timing cover, as well as not checking the 2 plates behind the water pump impeller are things that need attention when taking them apart and restoring them and then re-assembling them correctly.

There are 100 reasons why the engine could be overheating, so throwing random ideas without having a troubleshooting plan usually gets you no where but really frustrated when trying to make a Pontiac Stratostreak run within the proper cooling parameters.

If you're having trouble setting the timing the balancer ring could be to slipped, putting the timing marks in the incorrect place. If the cam timing is off it will run hot, as well as not run well. Looking at things that were disturbed during the rebuild, is probably going to be more fruitful than taking random suggestions on he internet.

I'm trying to give you some wisdom from 55 years of making my living working on many Pontiacs, as well as everything automotive, from daily drivers to oval track race cars. Ultimately it's your car, and your choice, do what you feel will get it fixed timely.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
i have a mild cam in it having trouble setting the timing, would this also cause to over heat
??? HOW are you having trouble setting the timing? Explain, please.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the engine ran cool before it was rebuilt, I would be looking at what parts of the cooling system were taken apart, and replaced during the rebuild. Chances of a Pontiac becoming air bound, and not working the air out of the system would be unusual. New parts are defective occasionally so yes you could have a faulty thermostat.

This is exactly why I referred you to the posts in the cast iron impeller thread, as well as the cooling system section. You need to know how the cooling system works to figure out what could be causing the problems, guessing seldom works.

Pontiacs aren't well understood by the majority of engine shops and overlooking things like, the rubber bushing seals, and cooling tubes in the timing cover, as well as not checking the 2 plates behind the water pump impeller are things that need attention when taking them apart and restoring them and then re-assembling them correctly.

There are 100 reasons why the engine could be overheating, so throwing random ideas without having a troubleshooting plan usually gets you no where but really frustrated when trying to make a Pontiac Stratostreak run within the proper cooling parameters.

If you're having trouble setting the timing the balancer ring could be to slipped, putting the timing marks in the incorrect place. If the cam timing is off it will run hot, as well as not run well. Looking at things that were disturbed during the rebuild, is probably going to be more fruitful than taking random suggestions on he internet.

I'm trying to give you some wisdom from 55 years of making my living working on many Pontiacs, as well as everything automotive, from daily drivers to oval track race cars. Ultimately it's your car, and your choice, do what you feel will get it fixed timely.

ok but i will have to say that the engine builder has done many Pontiac engines and i will assume he has done ever thing correct. i thought this forum was to help each other out . i am not trying to solve my problem on the internet ,but just want to see if someone else has had any of these issues. like always i will figure this out on my own. i also have been working on cars since 1978. but i am no expert, thats for sure
thank you

Old 05-17-2023, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
??? HOW are you having trouble setting the timing? Explain, please.
when i tried to set it on the specs .i did not run properly ,that's why i mention that i have a mild cam and my have to adjust

Old 05-17-2023, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're talking ignition timing I think?
(not camshaft timing)

Old 05-17-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
(not camshaft timing)

sorry yes

Old 05-17-2023, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
(not camshaft timing)

John, the point being that the cam timing could be set incorrectly when the engine was assembled. I have no idea, nor does anyone else know if the person that assembled the engine knows about Pontiac idiosyncrasies, or not.

There isn't an overabundance of information about all the circumstances proceeding the overheating, so most people are shooting in the dark with suggestions.

As I said there are 100 reasons an engine will overheat, throwing every circumstance out there that anyone on this board has run into in the last 50 plus years just confuses the issues. There needs to be a series of things to look at, in order to eliminate sources of problems.

Here is a troubleshooting diagram for engine overheating engines, notice how many possibilities there are. You need to have a system to check off, to find the cause/causes of the problem. Many times there are multiple causes of an overheating engine. Problems are taken in an order to isolate the causes, not just random guessing.

https://mechanicalboost.com/signs-of...e-overheating/

To the OP, believe it or not, I'm trying to give you a system to help you fix your car in the least possible time, with the least frustration. If you'd rather I not post, I'll not post again on your thread.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
John, the point being that the cam timing could be set incorrectly when the engine was assembled. I have no idea, nor does anyone else know if the person that assembled the engine knows about Pontiac idiosyncrasies, or not.

There isn't an overabundance of information about all the circumstances proceeding the overheating, so most people are shooting in the dark with suggestions.

As I said there are 100 reasons an engine will overheat, throwing every circumstance out there that anyone on this board has run into in the last 50 plus years just confuses the issues. There needs to be a series of things to look at, in order to eliminate sources of problems.

Here is a troubleshooting diagram for engine overheating engines, notice how many possibilities there are. You need to have a system to check off, to find the cause/causes of the problem. Many times there are multiple causes of an overheating engine. Problems are taken in an order to isolate the causes, not just random guessing.

https://mechanicalboost.com/signs-of...e-overheating/

To the OP, believe it or not, I'm trying to give you a system to help you fix your car in the least possible time, with the least frustration. If you'd rather I not post, I'll not post again on your thread.
i do thank you for your input . just want to have a game plan when i work on the car this week end

Old 05-17-2023, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A game plan is exactly what I was trying to demonstrate, eliminate one thing at a time, then move to the next. I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if I can assist you, I'd be glad to.

1984 Grand Prix