EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 05-31-2023, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Sniper Coil Driver

For all the Sniper folks, I'm having trouble determining of the Sniper has a built in coil driver like the FiTech system does?

My uncle has had enough of boiling fuel in his Qjet equipped 68 bird and wants an EFI system.

Looking at doing a Sniper QJet as he wants to keep the factory manifold. He'd like to control timing, but near as I can tell, that requires the additional purchase of a hyperspark and possibly a CDI with the Sniper systems.

Can anyone that runs one of these confirm if that's the case? Or does it have a built in coil driver, and we can wire up a coil direct from the ECU to drive a 2 wire dizzy?

Old 05-31-2023, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most sniper kits come with an external 4 wire coil driver. The 2300 kit I have did not and I had to buy one. My engine runs terrible with the sniper and the kits are not plug and play as they say. Not Pontiac but a Corvair 140 with a Chenowth 2300 intake. I will not buy another Sniper.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I can see that Holley is starting to the accessories not included deal with some of their kits.

The extra cost is pretty ridiculous.

This is a stock 400 557 block so it’s never going to be pushed. I’d rather him go with a FiTech EasyStreet with a spreadbore to square bore adapter. I don’t think he needs timing control, but it’s on his list of wants.

I know the FiTech stuff and how to make it work well.