Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What's It Worth? - 1964 Catalina for parts

I recently bought a 1964 Pontiac Catalina 4 door for parts. It is missing the front sheet metal, engine, transmission, rear axle. The glass and glass trim is good and the interior is quite complete. Back seat is decent but the rest is just for cores. Doors are not totally rust free, but better than average by far for Iowa. I bought the car just for the rearend.

What is the rest worth if I sell it all together?

I'm sure it would be worth more to part out. But, to do that I would have to store it 30 miles away(driving back and forth would eat up some $). Just trying to figure out if I can sell it all together or if I should just stash it at a friend's place and start selling pieces.

I do not currently have any pictures.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2023, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What is the current scrap price and how much does the remaining carcass weigh?

Old 05-31-2023, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
What is the current scrap price and how much does the remaining carcass weigh?
Scrap price is around $130 a ton and the remainder of the car probably weighs around 2500 lbs.
But, if that's all it's worth together, I will definitely be stripping it out.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:40 AM

With the car not being a roller, it will be a tough sell as a unit.

You're probably better off stripping it. FWIW

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 06-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a '63 Cat more door three or four years ago, nice complete car but with no engine or transmission, that I bought for $800. I only wanted the front clip for a 2 dr HT roller I had. I put pictures of it on here and elsewhere offering parts off of it. No responses. I ended up selling it and the 2dr to Herb Patton for $1k just to get them both out of here. IMO you will be lucky to get someone to come get that heap if you give it away. JMO

Old 06-01-2023, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is kind of what I was thinking. I guess I'll just start taking parts off of it then and crush whatever isn't saleable. I just needed to ask because I know the market for 4 doors is not the same these days as when I was growing up. Thanks

Old 06-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On 4 door Sedans & Hardtops, what you typ want to do is identify is what body panels are the same as on desirable two door models. From many B-bodies, one will find a much needed & major shared panel is the rear sheetmetal tail panel area. On a rusty lwr 1/4 panel 4 door, with a good rear tail panel, would need to remove the rear bumper, gas tank, & rear body mounts. Then careful use of a sawsall &/or cutoff wheel will remove the panel with a margin into the 1/4 panels & rear trunk floor.

Am betting the 1/4's on this sedan are rusty being from Iowa area. IF not, feel free & put up some pics of the trunk floor, as there is the alternative. That would be to cut the 1/4s going up in the front 1/3 of the wheel house on each side, then leave the trunk, partial 1/4's, lwr rear tail panel reinforcement, & tail panel intact.

Would chunk most trim parts that are 4 door only. 4 door rear seats next to no demand. Someone maybe able to use the 4door Sedan doors on a Safari wgn, but if it was here, with any form of rust out or rust in the seams, the doors wouldn't make my door racks. Up front, would be nice if a manual steering box is present. If this was a clean southwestern car, would go as far as pulling the clean frame & front lower control arms. Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
On 4 door Sedans & Hardtops, what you typ want to do is identify is what body panels are the same as on desirable two door models. From many B-bodies, one will find a much needed & major shared panel is the rear sheetmetal tail panel area. On a rusty lwr 1/4 panel 4 door, with a good rear tail panel, would need to remove the rear bumper, gas tank, & rear body mounts. Then careful use of a sawsall &/or cutoff wheel will remove the panel with a margin into the 1/4 panels & rear trunk floor.

Am betting the 1/4's on this sedan are rusty being from Iowa area. IF not, feel free & put up some pics of the trunk floor, as there is the alternative. That would be to cut the 1/4s going up in the front 1/3 of the wheel house on each side, then leave the trunk, partial 1/4's, lwr rear tail panel reinforcement, & tail panel intact.

Would chunk most trim parts that are 4 door only. 4 door rear seats next to no demand. Someone maybe able to use the 4door Sedan doors on a Safari wgn, but if it was here, with any form of rust out or rust in the seams, the doors wouldn't make my door racks. Up front, would be nice if a manual steering box is present. If this was a clean southwestern car, would go as far as pulling the clean frame & front lower control arms. Hope this helps.
Quarters are toast. I'll have to check out the tail panel and frame when I can get it up in the air.

What is an accurate reference source for what parts are the same from 2 door to 4 door or from Pontiac to other GM(W/S and back glass for instance)?

Old 06-01-2023, 03:31 PM

As a follow up. today a friend and I went by an old yard looking for trim pieces.
The buddy who owned the yard was in the process of crushing 60 or so cars in the yard. We saw a 48 Stude, 2 50 Dodge Wayfarer coupes and various others on the forklifts waiting for their turn in the crusher.

The owner said there was "no demand" for parts from these cars and was trying to get some value out of them.

It's a sad statement, but also a true statement......

James Q

Old 06-01-2023, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

James, there is some truth in that. But, I have been messing with cars my whole life and the last 5 years I have been buying and selling as a side gig. I firmly believe(from experience not just the fact that I love Pontiacs) that comparing the desirability of almost any pre-1970s Pontiac with early 50s Dodge products is a stretch. I cannot recall a time in my life when those early 50s Dodge/Plymouth cars were desirable. They were always a "I'll never be able to afford anything else" sort of car(at least around here).

Old 06-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

Hollander interchange manual is where I've always cked oddball stuff for glass interchange. You'll need access to a late 30's Hollander edition. My 41st edition only goes back to 1965 models. Somewhere boxed up, I have a 35th edition. Old Pontiac Master Parts books can also help.

On old windshields, typically, unless a windshield was a relatively fresh replacement & the car it came from was garaged, I've found it typ won't be much good other than for sealing up a partscar that has to set outside. Sandpits, scratches, discolored tint band, all are typical of 40+ year old windshields. Back glass is another story, they don't pick up rock chips, sand pits, & SMACK Bugs. Nice used unscratched back glass, if it fits a popular 2 door, I've always pulled it, then into the glass rack til a need arises.

On this partular B series windshield, have a sneaking feeling the '63-64 Pontiac B series convertible takes the "short" windshield & everything else takes a slightly taller windshield. On the back glass, my memory is even foggier. At. the very least, it fits 2 door Sedan & 4 door Sedan. Worth asking these two interchanges in the '60-64 Big Pontiac Tech section, there should be someone that hands on knows '63 & 64 B series glass very well.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
James, there is some truth in that. But, I have been messing with cars my whole life and the last 5 years I have been buying and selling as a side gig. I firmly believe(from experience not just the fact that I love Pontiacs) that comparing the desirability of almost any pre-1970s Pontiac with early 50s Dodge products is a stretch. I cannot recall a time in my life when those early 50s Dodge/Plymouth cars were desirable. They were always a "I'll never be able to afford anything else" sort of car(at least around here).
I wasn't comparing relative value of Dodge vs Pontiac, just making a comment on the hobby collectively. No offense intended.

James Q

Old 06-02-2023, 12:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Hollander interchange manual is where I've always cked oddball stuff for glass interchange. You'll need access to a late 30's Hollander edition. My 41st edition only goes back to 1965 models. Somewhere boxed up, I have a 35th edition. Old Pontiac Master Parts books can also help.
What has you experience been with the accuracy of the Hollander manuals? Just curious as I sold most of my Hollander manuals after stumbling on a few things listed as the same that I could say from personal experience are not if fact the same.
I'll have to check. I may still have a few stashed somewhere.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Occasionally use the 41st & 47th edition Hollanders. Also have a 35th and a 29th edition, which I used numerous times many years ago. The latter are boxed up from our move several years ago. Several times have wished I had a later edition with listings up into the late 80's.

As far as accuracy goes, searching in a Hollander manual, occasionally, one will run across a quirky issue. Example, no listing of the tapered axle bearing axle for the '70 model "Type O" Olds Cutlass/442 rearend... one year deal in the "Type O", Hollander just missed it. All & all, since the mid 90's when I was given a big stack of Hollander manuals, they've helped a bunch, ESP when ID'ing non Pontiac drivetrain parts that weren't in my "wheelhouse".