Old 06-02-2023, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Thinking about dragging my 73 into the shop for a T56 Magnum comversion

I've had this car for a while and have not done much with it. I was thinking of putting a T56 magnum in it. I saw there are hooker trans hump weld in tins but no mention if they work with a console. Id be interested in hearing from any one that has done this conversion. I have a column, 3 pedal assy and the right crossmember sitting in storage. I would need everything else. I just finished a 400 "butchers special" from parts i had shelved. it should go 500-550 hp w/o power adders. I am waiting on my turn for the local dyno.

Old 06-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a T56 Magnum in my 70. I had to cut up the floor and modify the factory console. Had to flip the shifter to the forward position, which put it over a big gear and makes it prone to leaks. Bowler has a shifter that won’t leak, but it’s expensive. I love the transmission. But if I had to do it again I would buy a TKX. Building a similar car with my son and that’s what will go it it.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In order to get all of the drivetrain angles correct you need to cut the floor for the T56 magnum. Although that really isn’t a huge deal since the floor could be returned to stock with some welding. That being said I’ve been told the TKX fits very well in the stock tunnel. The TKX isn’t as strong as the T56 magnum, but that probably doesn’t matter to most making under 700hp.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 06-06-2023, 06:43 PM

I highly recommend you look into the TKX. Fits without any floor pan modifications, fits stock console location, and driveline angles work out good.

It may not have a double overdrive, but what the TKX lacks in the 2nd overdrive, I feel it makes up with its non intrusive install.

I put one in my 71 with a Gen V LT4. It handles the power fine, and shifts like butter.

Here’s an interior pic.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3956.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	613827  

Old 06-07-2023, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had this conversion done on my '73. It was an auto with the console. My mechanic told me it was hard to do but the only hole he cut was for the shifter.
Here is a link on the build. Focus in on posts 12 through 16.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...=839167&page=3

Had the same transmission installed in a '70, but the conversion was already done for a Muncie 4-speed. Turned out the Muncie was a core. took it out and installed a T-56. Again the only cut was the original hole for the Muncie.

I know the fitment was correct as both cars drive very well.

Lastly, had a t-56 put into my '70 GTO. Was a factory 4 speed with nothing cut to my knowledge to install the Tremec.

The Following User Says Thank You to napster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 12:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the replies and link to the build.

Old 06-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan65 View Post
...I put one in my 71 with a Gen V LT4. It handles the power fine, and shifts like butter.

Stan
Did I miss your build thread?

Old 06-07-2023, 02:03 PM

Scarebird,

Never did a formal thread. I finished it 3 years ago. It was highly frowned on on this site at the time to remove the Pontiac power. I respected the culture at the time and participated about other topics.

I have posted some in the last couple years about it here. I’m sure you can find some info by searching my posts. I’m more than happy to share more to anyone interested.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4599.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	613862  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I couldn't get the driveline angles anywhere close to where they needed to be without cutting the floor for the T56. In part, this may have been due to the fact that my engine sits 1.5" further back than the factory location, and the car's ride height is about 2" lower. Even without these mods, I suspect the tail of the transmission would need to be pointed down quite a bit for it to fit an uncut trans tunnel...I don't know for sure, for I mocked everyone up after the mods were done...But if it points down too much, in addition to figuring out if you can adjust your pinion angle enough to make it work, you have to think about how this might create interference issues with headers, fan shroud, etc.

Old 06-07-2023, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Scarebird,

Never did a formal thread. I finished it 3 years ago...

Stan
wow, that looks mean-ass!

I am not seeing a T56 fitting the tunnel without major hackery - my TKX even required a visit from the hammer gang.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Scarebird,

Never did a formal thread. I finished it 3 years ago. It was highly frowned on on this site at the time to remove the Pontiac power. I respected the culture at the time and participated about other topics.

I have posted some in the last couple years about it here. I’m sure you can find some info by searching my posts. I’m more than happy to share more to anyone interested.

Stan
I get it. I’m sure people frown on my 70 TA build. In the end it can all be returned to stock or close to it. LT4 is a great engine. T56 is a great transmission. I think it’s a fantastic build

Old 06-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Stan65 & R70Judge,

Don't let the comments from other people get you down. The car belongs to you not them. Do with it as you see fit. The way I look at it is the build is for you not them. They can only wish they had a car like you guy's.

Enough said.

Jim

Old 06-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I highly recommend you look into the TKX. Fits without any floor pan modifications, fits stock console location, and driveline angles work out good.

It may not have a double overdrive, but what the TKX lacks in the 2nd overdrive, I feel it makes up with its non intrusive install.

I put one in my 71 with a Gen V LT4. It handles the power fine, and shifts like butter.

Here’s an interior pic.

Stan
x2 on your thoughts regarding the TKX...I believe it's around 35lbs lighter than the Magnum as well.

I love the LT4 in my '18 ZL1...must be awesome in your 71! I looked into putting one in a '79 a while back, but there didn't seem to be much off the shelf stuff for that swap so we went with an LQ4 (now 408) to keep things simple. Did you have to fabricate much yourself to make it work or has the aftermarket caught up?

Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aftermarket has NOT embraced these as much as you would think given they first came out 10 years ago.

My experience was stuff like swap oil pans are made, but the mount situation is almost laughable: an adapter to an LS adapter instead of a clean sheet design. I made my own. Water pump and accessory drive same story. Controllers are as bad; either a $2,600 Holley unit or 2014-18 GM ECM; later engines have AI type software that the gurus won't touch - so you run the earlier ECM.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:56 PM

When I first started putting things together in 2015, there was a few companies embracing them. I have a Detroit Speed subframe. I used their motor mounts for an LS. I just had to fab the aluminum flat plate part to replace the ones for the LS as I didn’t want to stack adapters. It was pretty easy.

The headers, I worked with Jim at Ultimate Headers to create the first set of Detroit Speed subframe with a LT swap headers. We shipped them back and forth 4 times to get the tight to floor fit I wanted.

The FEAD, I bought from Drive Junky. Wasn’t cheap, but it worked great and everything fit.

I have a Holley pan. That was easy.

I used the GMPP controller and harness. Once again, easy and it behaves with the tuning you would expect from an OEM.

For the trans setup, went with a Quick Time bell housing, and a center force DYAD clutch setup. I also used an American Powertrain Hydramax throwout bearing setup. All to fit a TKX behind a LT. (Some of the build pics have a TKO in them. I was very unhappy with the shift quality above 5K so I swapped it for a TKX and have been 100% satisfied.

For the throttle pedal setup, I used our own Scarebirds pedal mount bracket for a LS. They fit exactly the same

For the fuel system, I used a Ricks Restomod tank with a ZL1 pump. (Works perfect with the GMPP fuel pump controller that was part of the GMPP controller package).

I did A LOT of custom fabrication, but I wanted an OEM look. Most wouldn’t be necessary to just be a functional car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	85E73BE2-FCDC-4902-A82B-162B33B6D0ED.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	613910   Click image for larger version

Name:	F41D0179-09A4-40E7-9F8A-F44B4F700DA7.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	613911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	613912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9758.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	613913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9816.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	613914  

The Following User Says Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice. Love the nod to Pontiac blue. Build what makes u happy and screw the naysayers

Old 06-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stan65, please do a build review thread if you have the time. Your work and solutions here look superb and it may help others who are looking to install the Gen V motors.

Had I seen the blue paint on yours I would have done the same for example...

Old 06-09-2023, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice Stuart!

Still around Toledo area?
We'll be back there today for a couple months.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-24-2023, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Holley has the 70-74 Camaro/Firebird Hurst T56 Magnum conversion crossmember on sale for $72.95 right now! It retails for $457

I just ordered one to hold on to for my T56 Magnum conversion later. Get them while they last!

https://www.holley.com/products/driv...parts/67510015

The Following User Says Thank You to R 70 Judge For This Useful Post: