Old 06-03-2023, 05:13 PM

Default 1969 GTO .. Above Dash, Metal Section?

Re-visting a long stalled 69' Judge restoration .. car is now <home> as opposed to 2.5 hours away so I'm pretty psyched to be able create some real momentum ..

I'm not sure what the metal section that's above the dash pad is called but mine was painted same color midnight green as car's body. Is this correct or are all 69s supposed to be black?

Enclosed is a picture of driver's side of this section on mine where the paint over the years has begun to flake. If i were to keep as green what'd be proper way to touch up? And if I wanted to spray section black what's best course of action there? It's worth mentioning after just getting car home I'd rather not have to flat bed it off to body shop to get sprayed.

Thank you,
Mike
MA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8178.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	613618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8207.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	613619  

Old 06-04-2023, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That color is going to be dictated by the interior color and not the exterior. If the interior is black then it should be black. If the interior is some other color then it's typically going to match the dash pad. One important detail is that it should have practically zero gloss. Glossy paint in that area causes an irritating glare reflected in the lower windshield.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 09:00 AM

Thanks, Greg,

Interior is green so that's good news. Any suggestions on how to tackle touch up?

Best,
Mike

Old 06-04-2023, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It was one of the first things I did to my own car although I'm far from the expert. First of all you can do a much better job if the windshield is out of the car. Your photo indicates that that is case?
I used my factory interior color code and had an aerosol can mixed. The interior is rarely the same shade as the exterior. My car is turquoise inside and out but they're not the same paint at all. I ordered it from a place called Color Rite but it probably would have been just as well to visit a local auto body supplier and giving them the data plate info.
Wherever you find the color, from looking at your photo I'd get it as smooth as possible using various grits of paper, clean it well, tape it off, prime it and spray it. Pretty much the same thing I did with mine.
Mine is a '68 so there's a lot more metal to paint. You might even find an acceptable SEM color off the shelf at the auto body supplier. If you're not familiar, SEM specializes in interior finishes in factory colors. For such a small area I think you could get away with 'looks right'.
Might be blasphemy in the Judge world though...lol

Old 06-04-2023, 03:30 PM

This is really helpful, thank you, Greg
Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to RAIIIJudge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found a pic in my files. Probably 15~18 years or so ago... Flat clear on everything above the instrument panel opening and straight out of the can on lower surfaces. Maybe 60% gloss.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF01341.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	613696  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 06-04-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

I totally agree with Greg above. Mine was easy as it was black. I wasn’t happy with the matte black I shot on the upper section by the glass so I topped it with matte clear (closest to 0° gloss as I could get). Actually, both looked almost identical but I liked the extra UV protection from the clear and I think there’s a thread on this forum somewhere mentioning g that area also has a slight “texture” to it which I tried to match. The vertical part looks very knocked down too at 60° but once everything is back together it looks spot on. The last thing you want is glare from those areas.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:13 PM

Right on, fellas, thanks ..

So I've come up w/ Midnight Green #57
Dupont 9582LH
Ditzler 43993
0% gloss

Who would you contact ?

Best,
Mike

Old 06-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last time I got interior paint it was by calling TCP Global in California. They helped me come up with just what I needed for my seats and console. Perfect color match. Talk to their tech support and tell them what you're trying to do.
https://tcpglobal.com

Old 06-05-2023, 06:55 PM

greg,

I wrote TCP and they responded that they'll only mix quarts : |
I'm looking for a 12oz aerosol can yes?

thanks,
mike

Old 06-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, as for what I ordered from TCP I needed more than you do. I was ordering flex paint for soft vinyl. I colored seats, console kick panels and so on and in that instance I did get a quart..
What I painted my dash with came from another company called Color Rite. They did provide an aerosol can. It's been almost 20 years ago but what I recall about them was that they had more than one office and one place didn't exactly know what I was looking for and the other place did. I thought that TCP might be easier to deal with but you might give Color Rite a try see if you can get any help using the factory color codes. As a last resort I have heard that people have walked into their local auto body supply and been able to get aerosol cans. I haven't done that personally though. You might also re-ask the question as far as where to get it in the body shop forum. User "400-4spd" (Steve Barr) comes to mind.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 06-05-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIIIJudge View Post
greg,

I wrote TCP and they responded that they'll only mix quarts : |
I'm looking for a 12oz aerosol can yes?

thanks,
mike
Try here.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/?g...hoC68EQAvD_BwE

My 69 is Midnight Green and I purchased their Pens and the match was spot on.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:25 AM

Thank you, fellas!
mike