Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'...

Managed to get a speeding ticket in the TA today…first one in years. And I wasn't going that fast….just moving along with the traffic around me...wondering if this car is going to be ticket magnet?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what you get for being able to drive your car while most of us are living with storms, salt strewn roads and rim eating pot holes...

Sounds like you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Hopefully you have an understanding insurance agent.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its not the car. I've had my '71 T/A since I was 18 and have never been pulled over in it.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Suspended

Default BOP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I took the car to the Desert Renegade's BOP Show on Sunday and won 1st place for 70-74 Firebirds & Trans Ams. Seems kind of odd to me that '74 is the cutoff.

I've driven the car probably 100 miles or so, and it continues to run really well. Just a few remaining odds and ends left to take care of. Jim Shepard did a fantastic job on the radio…though now the rear speaker sounds distorted…probably a loose ground/connection. I also get a drip from the oil filter after each trip. The passenger side window seems to shift rearward slightly when the door slams. The AC compressor slings a little too much oil for my tastes. Finally, now that all the vibrations and rattles are gone, I can really hear the speedometer cable. There are lots of turns in the long cable, so I'm wondering if noise is common….if I'm able to get this taken care of, the car will be really quite.

I stopped along the road on my way home this evening and took a couple photos.

Attachment 358880
Hey Gator I heard Frank Rizzo and The Nibbler had a beer together, congratulations on your 1st placing.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobi View Post
Hey Gator I heard Frank Rizzo and The Nibbler had a beer
Do those two get along with each other?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nibbler and Rizzo ? I don't believe it

Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Gator, well deserved I'm sure.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Today's task is to rig a coolant recovery container so I can make it through tech check tomorrow…the wife's '68 is already set up. Should be a fun day!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now youve done it better knock on some wood pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dens71TA View Post
Its not the car. I've had my '71 T/A since I was 18 and have never been pulled over in it.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update

Replaced the speedo cable with a new one, and no more grinding noise. The old cable looked fine, so I'm not sure what the issue was. Regardless, the car finally feels and sounds like it should. No more noises, creeks, vibrations or other drama whether cruising around town or on the highway. It's pretty quite…wondering how much more quite I could have made the car had I used something like Dynamat rather than the factory style sound deadener.

The car runs cool too…the temp gauge never gets much above the quarter make even with the AC on. I'm a little surprised given that the A/C and cooling systems are bone stock. Though, it's only been in the mid 90s so far this year, so we'll see how she does in the middle of the summer when it's 115.

Everyone I talked to around here claims that the compressors sling a little bit of oil--So given that the A/C blows so cold, I guess I'll just live with the issue, at least until I have to service the system for some other reason.

The source of the oil drip was the fitting for the oil sending unit. Problem solved. No more leaks.

The rear speaker was junk. It was a re-coned original, but it sounded garbled. I replaced it with a 10ohm Delco I bought off eBay. I epoxied a bolt to the magnet so that I could attach the cardboard enclosure. It sounds great.

The front seats are at the upholstery shop getting redone. The person that did the work originally did not put enough padding behind the seat under the headrest, and he cut the material for the headrest insert too far back. As a consequence, I could see the corners of the plastic headrest insert inside the seat. It really bugged me.

Once the seats are done, I'll consider this project finished.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've driven the car a few hundred miles and no problems to speak of.

I did blow a fuse, which I attribute to the reproduction cigar lighter. I replaced the fuse and removed the element in the lighter--problem solved. I did pull out the wiring diagram to trouble shoot, and I noticed something that has me thinking…

Should there be a glovebox light? It didn't occur to me to install one when the car was being assembled because I didn't see a provision for it, and I didn't notice the switch or lamp in wiring diagram circuit, but I do see "glove box light" on the fusebox diagram. Was the light standard, an option, not available? I searched a bit for an answer but I didn't find it.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The glove box light was part of the courtesy light option which also included under dash floor lights, and a trunk light. Its a secondary wiring harness that plugs into the main dash harness and can be added if you wish.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

My 70 blew a fuse because of the lighter also so like you I just removed it. Strange,

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dens71TA View Post
The glove box light was part of the courtesy light option which also included under dash floor lights, and a trunk light. Its a secondary wiring harness that plugs into the main dash harness and can be added if you wish.

Would that option be 661 Convenience lamps? Does this mean the two courtesy lamps under the dash only came with the the trunk and glove box lights?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970TA View Post
My 70 blew a fuse because of the lighter also so like you I just removed it. Strange,
Was your lighter a reproduction as well?

I unscrewed the heating element in the lighter and wrapped electrical tape around the bottom so the lighter fits into the socket without making contact with anything. Impossible to tell it's a dummy unless someone tries to light something up in my car…

Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Yes mine was a repop. I may do the same thing to mine. How is your car running and how is your air? I think I sold you the vaccum canister that mounts on top of the evaporator box last year. My air on mine will freeze you out my wife is always telling me to turn the air down.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes mine was a repop. I may do the same thing to mine. How is your car running and how is your air? I think I sold you the vaccum canister that mounts on top of the evaporator box last year. My air on mine will freeze you out my wife is always telling me to turn the air down.
The car runs great. No major issues left to deal with, though there are little things at the margin that keep me occupied. My latest quest is the fuel gauge--it appears to function correctly but when it says empty I actually have a half tank left. Suggestions?

My A/C cools the interior quite well, even in the Arizona heat this time of year--glad I stayed with the factory system and R12--and yes, I bought a vacuum diaphragm from you, thanks! My only complaint is the compressor still slings a bit of oil…every time I lift the hood I feel compelled to clean the underside of the hood, inner fender, and water pump area, etc. I've been told they all do this to some degree, but the compressor in my wife's car isn't near as bad.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Senior Chief

My gauge does the same thing! Must be in the sending unit I still have my original tank and sending unit and I may change out the unit and see what happens. My air works great too and I'm always having to wipe the hood and inner fender clean because of the compressor.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My gauge does the same thing! Must be in the sending unit I still have my original tank and sending unit and I may change out the unit and see what happens. My air works great too and I'm always having to wipe the hood and inner fender clean because of the compressor.
It's funny they have the exact same set of issues. Speaking of issues, did you ever get your engine straightened out? I seem to recall an issue with a rod bearing.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Senior Chief

Yes I did and I have put about 1000 miles on it and no trouble. The only problem I've got now is a slight vibration at 65 mph and above. I had my drive shaft balanced a few years ago but I may have them look at it again.