Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default P0420 code help

2005 Nissan Sentra, 150k , well maintained, never abused, runs like a top, but code says downstream reading not efficient. If I clear the code, I can drive 100 miles and the engine light will not come on, but if I turn it off and go a block, it comes back on. Is that normal, any ideas before I try the spark plug adapter trick?

Old 04-28-2024, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

I have never worked on a foreign car, but that code is universal and usually means a catalytic convertor that is failing. With that many miles, it is not surprising that you would see that code. I am not sure if that "trick" will work or not and there are probably others, but it is usually time for a replacement converter. I would find a scanner where you could watch the readings.