Old 03-21-2001, 10:09 PM

My 65 Tempest custom convertible has the weirdest AC setup I have ever seen. It does not function because none of the under hood components remain. I wish I could show a picture but this description will have to do.

The entire unit is mounted under the dash. Control knob and 1 vent are under dash basically situated center mass to driver. Control knob reads (left to right although a circular knob) Off, 1, 2, 3, and behind that is a knob to control the temp of air being used (which says "Colder"). Another vent sits center mass to passenger but it has no knobs. The main vents (3 of them) sit under dash center of car, and fills the space from the underside of dash to about 5 inches above tranny hump. There is a hose coming through the firewall attached to this unit. Construction is all black plastic and all vents are screwed into the underside of dash rather crudely.

Is this in any way a factory option on a 65 Tempest Custom Convertible? As I mentioned it is NOT functionong and if unoriginal i will remove it at once, but if it is original I will restore it to working condition.

Any input is appreciated as i need to decide what to do very quickly.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian-

Old 03-21-2001, 10:09 PM

My 65 Tempest custom convertible has the weirdest AC setup I have ever seen. It does not function because none of the under hood components remain. I wish I could show a picture but this description will have to do.

The entire unit is mounted under the dash. Control knob and 1 vent are under dash basically situated center mass to driver. Control knob reads (left to right although a circular knob) Off, 1, 2, 3, and behind that is a knob to control the temp of air being used (which says "Colder"). Another vent sits center mass to passenger but it has no knobs. The main vents (3 of them) sit under dash center of car, and fills the space from the underside of dash to about 5 inches above tranny hump. There is a hose coming through the firewall attached to this unit. Construction is all black plastic and all vents are screwed into the underside of dash rather crudely.

Is this in any way a factory option on a 65 Tempest Custom Convertible? As I mentioned it is NOT functionong and if unoriginal i will remove it at once, but if it is original I will restore it to working condition.

Any input is appreciated as i need to decide what to do very quickly.

Thanks in advance!

-Brian-

Old 03-21-2001, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes it very well could be stock.Factory option mounted exactly same in my '63 409.Except that it is installed very cleanly,someone-else may have butcherd yours after the fact.

[This message has been edited by STripleduce (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I serious doubt that is a factory unit. My 65 Tempest LeMans was a factory air car. All the controls are built into the dash and the vents are built into the dash also. I'd say yours is an add on for sure.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120
going into the 10's
this winter