Old 05-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Senior Chief

Has any one installed a Flow Kooler Water Pump? If so did all of the belts and pulleys match after you got it in? Also did it help in cooling the motor. Thanks for any info..

Old 05-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Senior Chief

Has any one installed a Flow Kooler Water Pump? If so did all of the belts and pulleys match after you got it in? Also did it help in cooling the motor. Thanks for any info..

Old 05-04-2001, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Flowkooler pump for Pontiacs is nothing more than a stock replacement aluminum pump (made in Japan no less) that has had a backing plate welded over the impeller blades. I installed one on my 79 455 T/A a few years ago and it did nothing to help cool the engine any better than a stock pump. In fact, the car ran cooler after relacing the Flowkooler with a stock pump. The factory pump setup already has a backing plate behind the pump's impeller to start with. Based on my experience with the pump, I've concluded it was just a marketting scheme to sell us something that doesn't live up to it advertised claims. Save your money and just put a standard aluminum pump on it.

Old 05-17-2001, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

hozy,
I have a FlowCooler water pump on my '68 GTO. It's basically a stock water pump with a plate welded to the impellers. I think Summit sells a kit for this. The pump dropped my temps about 15 degrees. Either way, make sure your backing plates are in good shape-they shouldn't have any pits or rust on them. If they do, replace them. All the pulleys bolted up in the stock locations. If your car still runs a little warm, put in a 160 or 180 degree thermostat-this will get your coolant flowing through the radiator a little sooner. Also, make sure your shroud, fan clutch, and radiator are in good shape. A more efficient radiator is a plus-something like a Desert Cooler or a 4-row recore on your stock unit will help. Make sure all the air is going through the radiator, as well. Look at how a late model car is set up-no air can get around the radiator in the core support. Make sure your car is the same way.

goathead68