Old 04-01-2001, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi: I have a '70 GTO 455 A/T with A/C car and the other day I accidentally broke a small device which was installed in-line on the vacuum line which runs from the rear of the carb. "Tee" on the branch which is on the drivers' side. This line runs thru the firewall and is (I guess) used somehow for the A/C or heating system.

Externally, the device is about 1" in diameter by about 1/2" and has unequal IN/Out sizes for the vacuum lines.

#1 question, WTH is this thing?

#2 question, Do I need it?

#3 question, where do I get one?

Thanks, Matt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2001, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi: I have a '70 GTO 455 A/T with A/C car and the other day I accidentally broke a small device which was installed in-line on the vacuum line which runs from the rear of the carb. "Tee" on the branch which is on the drivers' side. This line runs thru the firewall and is (I guess) used somehow for the A/C or heating system.

Externally, the device is about 1" in diameter by about 1/2" and has unequal IN/Out sizes for the vacuum lines.

#1 question, WTH is this thing?

#2 question, Do I need it?

#3 question, where do I get one?

Thanks, Matt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2001, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

#1 According to your discription,it is the check vlv for the dash controls.
#2 YES,at an idle your dash controls will work fine but when you step on the gas and loose manifold vac. they will not operate properly.
#3 Good question.You could try a dealer they may still have somthing in stock.These were used on many model cars for many yrs.

Old 04-02-2001, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks a lot for the info. I will check with a local dealer. I checked my '78 T/A and it has a couple of these valves so I should be able to find it. Thanks again, Matt

Old 05-28-2001, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also check with Pontiac Heaven www.pontiacheaven.org or Bethels GOAT Farm. They have used parts for Pontiac's and might have one for you.

Tim

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120

Old 05-29-2001, 11:30 AM

I've been able to get these little vacuum doo-dads at my local Pep Boys auto parts. I've got a few on my LeMans, and have obtained a few things this way for my '66 Toronado.

I've gotta get another, because right now, when I step hard on the gas, the A/C shifts from the normal vents to the defroster, and then back again after 10 seconds or so.

Kirk