Old 01-17-2001, 06:51 AM

My Radiator is shot in my 69' Cat. and I need to buy a replacement. I'm looking for something under $300 for my 400 with TH-350. Aluminum preferably. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 01-17-2001, 06:51 AM

My Radiator is shot in my 69' Cat. and I need to buy a replacement. I'm looking for something under $300 for my 400 with TH-350. Aluminum preferably. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 01-17-2001, 08:57 AM

Maniac,
I put a 4-row Desert Cooler in my 68 Lemans a couple of years ago, and haven't given it a second thought since. I've heard they don't last as long as a stock radiator, but it lowered my engine temp a good 10 degrees.
Performance years doesn't list your car specifically, but they have more than they list. $235

Kurt

------------------
"You a long way from home, ain't cha boy?"

Old 01-17-2001, 07:52 PM

Maniac That was a 4 core Desert Cooler radiator in the engine test stand, so you should have some idea what they look like and how they work.

Ed

Old 01-18-2001, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have used Griffin and Be Cool they are both very nice rads. the Griffin is cheaper, I paid about 200 for mine but it is kind of a 1 size fit all so we had to mod. the fan shroud. The Be Cool one was very nice and had to do very little to get it to fit and it had a Trans cooler in it but it was about 500. They both cool very well though.

Old 01-23-2001, 12:51 PM

I put a Desert Cooler in my 67 GTO this year and I'm happy with it. I believe I paid $225, don't remember if it was from here or Ames.

Longs

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time was a damned fool". Vincent K. McMahon

Old 04-15-2001, 12:12 AM

Don't forget Rodney Red .. as good as Be Cool and a fraction of the price

Old 04-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

71, What the hell is a Rodney Red? Could it be Hot Rods face when he split his Tranny in half? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 05-28-2001, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just in case you wanted to know the stock Pontiac Harrison tanks will work on the Desert Cooler radiators if you want to maintain the stock look. Desert Cooler's work very well but they are heavy, even a little heavier than the factory units. If your not racing and your car is not on a diet they are great and are a drop in except the bracket for the top of the radiator doesn't fit quite right for a 65-67 A-Bodies unless you put the Harrison top tank on it, but it will work with the Desert Cooler tank. Griffin makes the best radiator cores because they are the only ones who make 1/2" tubes and are a very efficient design. Unfortunately Griffen does not sell their cores so if you want a Griffen you have to buy the whole radiator and make a few mods to make everything fit proper. Bee Cool makes many exact drop in's but they are over priced, are MIG welded and quality control is not top notch. TIG is the best method to use on aluminum and MIG is not really suited for that use. Another good choice is to have an aluminum radiator custom made to fit your car. In many cases this is the best choice and it's cheaper than buying a Bee Cool. I had a custom made to my specs for $325.00 and it looks awsome and cools awsome.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120

Old 05-29-2001, 07:10 PM

You know, before I worried too much about the difference between TIG and MIG, I think I'd want to know how the core was manufactured. I mean, is the core expoxied together or furnace brazed? Don't know about the Griffin radiators, but the BeCool is furnace brazed, which means it can be repaired if it get damaged. If your radiator has an epoxied core, kiss it good bye if it gets damaged, 'cause they're almost impossible to repair.

Old 05-29-2001, 08:15 PM

Hi Tim, your $325 custom rad- is that aluminum? A Griffin? I'm putting in a new radiator in my 66 and thinking longterm, maybe next year, about racing. Haven't bought one yet & I'd spend a little extra now since the car will see limited street use really. I have a 2" spacer & a flex fan. What're the mods- cooling line locations, hose locations & what else? does it ever get hot in Phx? thanks!

Old 06-02-2001, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the custom is aluminum. No it's not a Griffin because Griffin does not sell their cores. The car is not street driven any more but it cools real good at the track. About the time I get to the pits it's down to about 170 degrees.

If you get a custom aluminum made I would get them to make it the same exterior dimentions as the OEM radiator so you can use the factory shroud and fan. Why the flex fan? They don't cool as good as a factory clutch fan, have more drag and make more noise too. Air flow is very important in a street driven car. GM designed a very good system. With the exception of installing a Desert Cooler or an aluminum radiator I'd keep the factory set up on a street car.

Tim Corcoran

------------------
65 LeMans 11.13@120

Old 06-02-2001, 05:42 PM

Tim, I'm using the flex & spacer just for fun really, experimenting. It wasnt all that expensive. I have the original fan & fan clutch if its a disaster. I'm probably going for the 4-core Desert Cooler, so I might take your advice about the fan, while its primarily a streeter. Long term, I'd love to have a different motor builtup & put the stock engine/trans on the shelf.