Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Removing clear coat from brushed steel

I have an ididit column in my car in bare steel and I want to keep it that way just clear coated. I installed it and overnight it flash rusted in a few small places so I 2000 grit paper sanded them off and went ahead and lightly misted it with rustoleum clear. Now that it’s dry it looks hazy/milky. What’s the best way to get the clear off and protect the column till the pros can clear coat it?

Old 03-28-2020, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Clear must have blushed, from too much humidity when sprayed/too thick when sprayed. Or both.

Or maybe also, it was Matte finish instead of gloss .

Lacquer thinner will remove it.
About $15 gallon at Walmart for Rustoleum-Medium Evaporatring grade in the AutoBody supplies section

100's of uses around the shop/house.

Then keep column in the house to prevent rust, until next step.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:13 AM

Two things you can do, If the rustoleum you used is a rattle can you can use acetone soaked onto a light scotchbrite pad or rag to remove the clear, If that does not take it off which I am sure that it will, you can use paint stripper. And I would not be to worried about the stripper because thanks to the EPA's new regulations on automotive paint stripper the active harmful ingredients that actually do the stripping have all but been eliminated. If you use paint stripper do not use water to rinse the parts of remaining stripper / paint, use the acetone as a wash and follow that with an alcohol or prep wash or even grease and wax remover, The bare steel finish will be pretty sterile at this point. I do have to add that if you are planning on having the bare steel clear coated with a 2K urethane clear or similar clear I would check with your painter on how long or if he can gaurantee against the finish from rusting. Even high solid clear coats do not prevent rust from developing forever and there is no paint manufacturer that I use in my bussiness that would be willing to claim it would.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You obviously have a moisture problem in your shop.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would never even try. Just get the column painted your interior color. I guess a Stainless Column is available if you wanted that look?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Apparently Ididit has stering columns available in brushed or polished aluminum and chrome as well as black and plain steel. Don't know if this is any help.

https://www.ididitinc.com/c-1310143-...oor-shift.html

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ll just get it painted. Just liked the look when I installed it

Old 03-28-2020, 05:36 PM

I can understand what you are wanting and was wondering if you have ever tried Seymour Stainless Steel paint #16-054 ? Comes in 16oz spray cans and is super easy to use, and gives the closest satin finish that emulates stainless or bare metal. I use it on almost all the rear axles I do - the center sections I do in cast blast Iron finish paint and the axle tubes get the stainless paint, Customers love it over a plain black finish. I can't seem to post pictures of the can on here but if you google it you should get it. Heres the descriptionfor it though and it does state rust proof. I can send some pictures if you would like to see some of the axles Ive done in a PM.

• A special formulation containing 316L stainless steel pigment to provide maximum corrosion resistance and protection against weather, sunlight, oil, and water
• Dries to a satin finish
• Recommended as a topcoat, not a primer
• Use of a primer is always beneficial to enhance adhesion and overall durability
• Dries quickly and is non-yellowing

Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAC2110 View Post
I can understand what you are wanting and was wondering if you have ever tried Seymour Stainless Steel paint #16-054 ? Comes in 16oz spray cans and is super easy to use, and gives the closest satin finish that emulates stainless or bare metal. I use it on almost all the rear axles I do - the center sections I do in cast blast Iron finish paint and the axle tubes get the stainless paint, Customers love it over a plain black finish. I can't seem to post pictures of the can on here but if you google it you should get it. Heres the descriptionfor it though and it does state rust proof. I can send some pictures if you would like to see some of the axles Ive done in a PM.

• A special formulation containing 316L stainless steel pigment to provide maximum corrosion resistance and protection against weather, sunlight, oil, and water
• Dries to a satin finish
• Recommended as a topcoat, not a primer
• Use of a primer is always beneficial to enhance adhesion and overall durability
• Dries quickly and is non-yellowing
I ordered some. If it doesnt turn out I will just let them paint it dash color. Thanks for the tip

Old 03-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
You obviously have a moisture problem in your shop.
I'd be taking care of this..

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well my brake rotors haven’t rusted and my garage doesn’t feel damp. I have had the doors open while I work on the car a lot lately