The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Recommendations for fixing this

Got some damage to the right rear. What would you body guys recommend as the path to fix this. I'm thinking the fiberglass tail panel needs to be replaced. I think I have a line on a original one instead of the repro plastic one that most people say sucks. Not a great picture but the steel tail panel is kind of screwed up in the lower edge/corner...can that be metal-worked back? I know very little about body work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	owie1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	426311  

Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default replace

My vote is replace since you say you are not good at body work.
You would need a little skill to fix that. QP body damage looks like an easy fix with a stud gun and slide hammer. Then some thin skim coats of filler, sand,prime and spot paint if you know how to do that. If its Base /clear you have a blend problem as the whole QP,roof and other QP have no seam lines to re-clear to. You may be able to hide the repair but you would have to know what you are doing with that one. If its lacquer no problems. easy paint blend and buff.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkwerks View Post
My vote is replace since you say you are not good at body work.
You would need a little skill to fix that. QP body damage looks like an easy fix with a stud gun and slide hammer. Then some thin skim coats of filler, sand,prime and spot paint if you know how to do that. If its Base /clear you have a blend problem as the whole QP,roof and other QP have no seam lines to re-clear to. You may be able to hide the repair but you would have to know what you are doing with that one. If its lacquer no problems. easy paint blend and buff.
Thanks.
I wasn't going to attempt fixing it, I was just trying to get an idea of what it would take so I sort of know what to expect to hear from a body guy. I don't know what magic could be done on the steel tail panel where it's most crunched. The Fiberglass tail panel will be replaced.
-John