The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Default How would you fix this???

Hi Guys,
I had some rust holes on the roof, drivers side just above the the drip rail.
I cut out the bad metal and under the roof skin, there was more damage I started pushing with a screwdriver and went through to the underside of the roof at the driprail. The damage is between the drip rail and the door edge weatherstrip.The inner roof is OK. Is this the drip rail where it gets welded to the roof? What would be the best way to repair this?
See attached pictures.

Thanks Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	425169   Click image for larger version

Name:	66.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	425170   Click image for larger version

Name:	69.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	425171  

Old 04-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default more pictures

more pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	425172   Click image for larger version

Name:	68.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	425173   Click image for larger version

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	425174   Click image for larger version

Name:	71.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	425175   Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	425176  

Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it is where the drip rail is welded to the side beam. I have done the same repair on a '65 SS and it leaves you wondering if any unseen rust will show up in the future.
Maybe now someone is making the roof skin, because removal and replacement is the "best" method of fixing that.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Take it to a good body shop

Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen quite a few guys on this forum, and not all of them "experts" that make slow, methodical, careful repairs of this kind of problem with their basic welders and lots of time and patience.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

thanks all,
I really wasn't sure what rusted, but 400 comfirmed it is the driprail. I can see what looks like seams and spot welds to the lower roof section. I thought the driprail edge was installed after the inner and outer roof were together, kind of what connected the seams together.
I know I can fix this, just wasn't sure what needs to be connected where.
I don't think there was more damage to the inner roof. The car has been sitting since the early 80's and what I think happened is water was dripping in that area for years. The seam sealer in that area was damaged there too.The bottom of the drivers side door is rotted also. it was coming in by the seals at the vent window.
I have rust encapsulator that I'm going to drench the areas under the roof with after I break up the loose rust.

Thanks Jeff

Old 04-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Senior Chief

If the roof insulation and headliner are removed I would look into tig welding a patch panel. Follow up with a small grinder to smooth the weld bead and apply glazing\spot putty. The other option is body filler. Either way take your time and go slow.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it all depends what your plans are for the car....keeping it or moving it 2-3 years down the road...anything can be "fixed" . If the Windsheild is out and the channel is sound...weld her up..but get some access to the backside of the repair ( cut an access panel ) and treat with por 15 or some fluid film. I had a 1970 factory 4 speed Monte Carlo big block car with the same issue you have....we found a clean used roof and sectioned it at the pillars ...the guy was keeping it for ever.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

My car is a 70 but I think it's assembled in a similar fashion. The driprail is welded to the inner structure and forms a "channel" where the roof skin fits & is welded. To fix my car I found a clean used roof but instead of cutting thru the pillars I spent about three days drilling spot welds and pulled the roof skins off my car and the donar. Cleaned up & painted all the inner structure & then installed the new roof skin.

I thought it would be a huge pain but actually it was one of the easiest sheet metal replacements I've ever done - way easier than floors or quarter panels.