Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Senior Chief

Default Recommendations...SouthWest US

Going on our SW US Vacation on 7/11 Staying in Santa Fe....Sedona...Tucson....Artesia NM and Amarillo.
Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants or sites?
Will be in Santa Fe for two days the rest just one. Will also be making stops in Tombstone, Roswell, and Carlsbad Caverns. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tank,,,,,, If you come south on I-17, before you get to Phoenix, there is the little town of Black Canyon city. take the exit that says "Rock Springs" When you stop at the end of the off ramp, make a right turn & then a left turn onto the access road. There is a little Cafe called the Rock Springs cafe. Great food!!!!!!! There is one room in the cafe just to take care of their Pie business!!!!! MUST GET A PIE!!!!!!! Also in the Tomb Stone area is the newly opened cave called Kartchner Caverns. Great cave!!!! Tucson has the Pima Air Space museum. Also in the Tucson area is a decomissioned Titan Missle silo that is open to the public for tours. Lots of stuff here in Az!! On I-40, east of Flagstaff is Meteor Crater, lots of movies have been filmed there. If ya come through town, give a call

Keith (602) 315-8602

POCI.org
Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Tank,,,,,, If you come south on I-17, before you get to Phoenix, there is the little town of Black Canyon city. take the exit that says "Rock Springs" When you stop at the end of the off ramp, make a right turn & then a left turn onto the access road. There is a little Cafe called the Rock Springs cafe. Great food!!!!!!! There is one room in the cafe just to take care of their Pie business!!!!! MUST GET A PIE!!!!!!! Also in the Tomb Stone area is the newly opened cave called Kartchner Caverns. Great cave!!!! Tucson has the Pima Air Space museum. Also in the Tucson area is a decomissioned Titan Missle silo that is open to the public for tours. Lots of stuff here in Az!! On I-40, east of Flagstaff is Meteor Crater, lots of movies have been filmed there. If ya come through town, give a call

Keith (602) 315-8602
Yes, I concur. If you go, take some pictures of the B-36 Peacemaker and please post them. When I was there 2 1/2 years ago, the restoration was 20% complete, I'm wondering how much further along it is. Also, the hangar for the whatever Bomber Group is amazing; I could've spent an entire day there.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanksta View Post
Going on our SW US Vacation on 7/11 Staying in Santa Fe....Sedona...Tucson....Artesia NM and Amarillo.
Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants or sites?
Will be in Santa Fe for two days the rest just one. Will also be making stops in Tombstone, Roswell, and Carlsbad Caverns. Thanks.
Carlsbad Caverns is a "MUST DO."

I grew up about 100 miles from there, and every time any relatives came to visit, we went to see "The Caverns" (again, and again, and, etc.) I seemed to find something that I had missed before each time we visited.

It's been several decades since I last went, but there used to be walk in-elevator out tours, elevator in-walk out tours, walk in-walk out tours, etc. I guess depending on how adventuresome (and fit) you are, you may decide on one of the tours. If you can do it late in the day, you can stick around 'til sunset and watch the horde of bats fly out to go eat insects.

Try to spend the night "at altitude" and it'll be a little cooler, but it'll be brutal wherever you go in the SW this time of year.

Have fun,
Ogre

Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...07102&t=h&z=17

In Tucson the AF has some of their aircraft mothballed. On another board someone stated that they thought that they offered tours. Somehow I doubt it but it would be worth looking into just in case.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

We are in Santa Fe as I am typing this. Staying at a pretty nice condo N of the Plaza. Last night we ate at Tomasita's and this morning at The Plaza Cafe. Both were really good. We went out to the International Folk Art Festival that is going on here this weekend. The wife and kids went to the mall and I came back and had a few Cheladas and a siesta. I think we are going to Maria's tonight. Supposed to have over 125 different Margaritas! We will be pulling out tomorrow heading to Sedaona AZ. Thanks for the recommedations. BTW...pulled a bonehead this morning. Went to one of those stupid penny souvenir machines, the ones that roll the pennyout and stamp them. I laid my brand new Sony 12mp digital down to dig for a good penny. I rolled my penny out and reached down to pick it up and just walked off. I realized I left my camera on the machine about 3-4 minutes later and sure enough it was gone. So hopefully that will be only dumbass thing that happens this trip.....

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

OUCH! Sorry to hear that...

Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Chief

Here are a few photos from the trip so far...no certain order. These are from the camera on my phone...since I lost my new Sony 12mp.

This is the Painted Desert in the Petrified Forest National Park.

Photo of downtown Santa Fe.

View from our condo in Santa Fe. (Ft. Marcy Suites) Nice place

Humphrey's Peak @ Flagstaff (Highest point in AZ, 12,562 ft)

Inside The Big Texan Restaurant in Amarillo.

Fountain in Lobby at Sedona Rouge Resort & Spa (Where we are staying right now)

The Tanksta himself.......

Last edited by Tanksta; 07-14-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NICE!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

I oops-ed and posted this here.There is another discussion going on in the lobby.