Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Does machine shop give receipt for parts dropped off?

I am going to be dropping off my engine block and other parts at the machine shop and want to know do they give a receipt for parts or is this something they don't do. Do I need to tag any parts with my name or use something like a paint marker? This is new to me and I just want to do what is best. Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you know them well, I would want one.

Print your name & phone number on the face of the block with a sharpie marker - tell them not to stamp any numbers in the block ANYWHERE! Some places stamp the number of the job ticket on the block - that's kind of frowned on these days.

To go a little further, discuss what you want them to do and what the price will be and have them write that up too.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They don't do it down here unless you ask. As far as marking what you take in take a punch and hammer and mark the items that way if you do not know the shop and have any doubt about their honesty.

The machine shops down here take in so little in terms of Pontiac stuff that my items are the only Pontiac items in there at any given time.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

x2 The BOSS

Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I ran my shop full time I always wrote it down for my own use but only gave one to the customer upon request. So just ask for it.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Print your name & phone number on the face of the block with a sharpie marker - tell them not to stamp any numbers in the block ANYWHERE! Some places stamp the number of the job ticket on the block - that's kind of frowned on these days.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! One stamped a code on my 67 WS block.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if ya cant trust them,...why leave it with them????

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
if ya cant trust them,...why leave it with them????
because they COULD mix them up
should have a EUN and a VIN stamped on the block
write this down and ask them to check and initial receipt of it.
you could engrave on the bellhousing mating surface which wont be seen when installed

Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that and the fact that you could drop off some 722 round ports and come back to find a clean, rebuilt pair of 6X's on the counter, ready for your concours 69 gto restoration!!!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally know of a bad mixup of 2 rare blocks sent to a machine shop at same time.
Shop owner almost died over it(at hands of customer).

Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Unless you know them well, I would want one.

To go a little further, discuss what you want them to do and what the price will be and have them write that up too.
GREAT ADVICE! many shops stamp their own stuff on cast iron, this is like the #1 thing to be aware of!
Also if you dont need that block decked, dont do it. Pretty soon youll be paying them to "angle mill" the heads so the intake fits etc. then you have spent more money, and made a 1 off engine that only works with its parts, cant even change without a lot more money...

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to harry k Send a message via MSN to harry k Send a message via Yahoo to harry k

for as long as i 've been in this hobby & now in the trade, all the machine shops in years dealt with, no one ever has given a paper work that you droped your belongings to have work performed by them(always made me curios about this scenario
some i ve seen take notes on their work order but again never recieved any copy at the drop of time that you have a proof in hand that your engine parts are there with them.

being in the automotive trade myself, we are required by BAR law( bureau of automotive repair) to write work order & hand the copy to the customer at the drop of time, these machine shops are not regulated by any strict gov. agency, so they don't practice business like that.....

http://www.hkmotorsportsdynoshop.com/

Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

its super scary..do engine builders like many listed on this site have to give you a written work order and an accurate list of parts? i would hope so--as i have some heads, etc that i would be sending to them for rebuilding and porting...