The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-11-2023, 05:19 PM

Default Paint and body

Just wanted to give a giant shoutout to SheetMetal Mafia in Central Florida. After having Gary H straighten out my RA IV I began looking for a shop to bring back the appearance of the car. It had original paint but I am not a patina guy. Everybody was 18 to 24 months out. Joey Picone, the owner of this shop said he would be honored to work on a 1970 Judge. He was of course weeded with lots of work but he got me in 2 weeks later. I just picked it up 6 weeks later. Car sat indoors,I checked frequently,and car now looks better than day 1.. if anyone requires this type of work you will not be disappointed

Old 04-11-2023, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn! 6 weeks!? Thats awesome, my 81 TA has been in paint jail since October 8, 2022. Which aint bad I guess, got a couple more though.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:46 PM

I’m thinking 6 weeks is not enough time to let the solvents evaporate out of the primers used before laying down the color, hopefully I’m wrong.

As long as the paint job doesn’t start bubbling up a few months or years down the road I’d say you did very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taktikian View Post
Just wanted to give a giant shoutout to SheetMetal Mafia in Central Florida. After having Gary H straighten out my RA IV I began looking for a shop to bring back the appearance of the car. It had original paint but I am not a patina guy. Everybody was 18 to 24 months out. Joey Picone, the owner of this shop said he would be honored to work on a 1970 Judge. He was of course weeded with lots of work but he got me in 2 weeks later. I just picked it up 6 weeks later. Car sat indoors,I checked frequently,and car now looks better than day 1.. if anyone requires this type of work you will not be disappointed
Thank you for the PIREP on this shop it’s always good to have someone’s first hand experience. You should pos pictures of it. And maybe cost woukd help people too

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-11-2023, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mainstream shops do it all the time so I’m sure it will be fine.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:46 PM

Default Paint and body

I wii post pictures once I get all the stuff I took off back on. Car looks good to me. I am 71 so not overly concerned if it holds up ten years. Wanted it to look good while I can still push the clutch in. Put tailights back in today. Little at a time

The Following User Says Thank You to taktikian For This Useful Post: