Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a sharp looking car, bty. Sounds like a nice setup you have built.

If they do write it off, does that mean a salvage or totaled or B type title in CANADA if you rebuild it/keep it?

Jeff

Old 12-24-2009, 02:47 AM

My last experience with ICBC (for you folks who don't know, it is the government run insurance in B.C.), they typically use the Buy and Sell paper to determine the value of the car in the local market. Since all of the parties involved have the same insurance company, there really is no "advocate" for you. Their usual stunt in such a situation is to assess blame to the party that hit you, and then assess blame to you for hitting the person in front of you. Since you are partly to blame, they often refuse to pay out. If you have collision coverage, they fall back on the Buy and Sell method of determining value. In case it didn't come through, I REALLY hate ICBC.

I really hope it works out for you, that's a sharp looking car.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 AM

Icbc's own words to me where that since I had come to a complete stop, I was not at fault for being thrown into the car in front of me

Old 12-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Get a private appraisal on the value of your car.

Any appraiser can clearly see what kind of condition your car was in before the accident and asses the value.

This would be some of the best ammo you can have ready when it's time to argue value.

I did this almost 30 years ago when I was rearended in my clean, rust-free unrestored 1957 VW delivery van (panel bus). The insurance company for the other driver offered me $800, I told them it was worth $3000 before it was hit. They always try to low-ball you.

My appraiser put the value at $2300 before the accident and their appraiser said it was worth 1800. They agreed to pay a value right in between the two appraisals and take the vehicle. I told them that since they had screwed around so much and put me to so much trouble that I wanted $2000 and salvage rights to the vehicle and that's what I ended up with.

Stick to your guns, that's a very nice car that has good value.

See a lawyer and go to the doctor, you certainly don't want to sign away any rights to long-term medical needs that might arise for any injuries you might have.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Get a private appraisal on the value of your car.

Any appraiser can clearly see what kind of condition your car was in before the accident and asses the value.

This would be some of the best ammo you can have ready when it's time to argue value.

I did this almost 30 years ago when I was rearended in my clean, rust-free unrestored 1957 VW delivery van (panel bus). The insurance company for the other driver offered me $800, I told them it was worth $3000 before it was hit. They always try to low-ball you.

My appraiser put the value at $2300 before the accident and their appraiser said it was worth 1800. They agreed to pay a value right in between the two appraisals and take the vehicle. I told them that since they had screwed around so much and put me to so much trouble that I wanted $2000 and salvage rights to the vehicle and that's what I ended up with.

Stick to your guns, that's a very nice car that has good value.

See a lawyer and go to the doctor, you certainly don't want to sign away any rights to long-term medical needs that might arise for any injuries you might have.

i agree,my wife has lifelong pain from an auto injury.
she got a fair monetary settlement but still not worth the pain involved

Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 PM

I finally saw a doctor just to get something on record. Personally I do feel a little stiffness in the neck and lower back , like i went to the gym and worked out the previous day then woke up feeling it. but I feel no pain at this time.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM

well the car was sent to icbc central location for estimating before christmas ,but I called there yesterday and spoke to the guy who is in charge of my claim and he said " well he's not finished evaluating it yet but it looks like a total loss" That ruined my day,but this morning I woke up to a message from him saying to call him ,so I did and he said it looks like we might be able to cover it but he has some concerns and would like me to come down and see him.I guess I shouldn't get to excited but this is the best news I've heard so far.