Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Shipping Pontiacs to 2012 Convention

Anyone have any experience with having several cars shipped to the POCI convention. A number of our local club members are interested in doing this next summer. We would probably have at least six cars. We would all meet at a single location in the Seattle-Tacoma, Washington area.
Driving would be fun, but most are not comfortable driving our old cars approximately 2100 each way

Thanks for any suggestions, Les

Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We drove cross country for the Co-Vention, and it was a fun adventure with no mechanical problems. For the cost of the fuel and the hotel rooms, I believe you have a good idea by having them shipped. It will be interesting to hear from anyone that has done it.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

last car i shipped on a transporter and had some fluid waste my paint from a car parked over it. never again. other car shipped in a three car enclosed trailer did much better. cheaper to use a transporter, just be there after it's on the truck to tie a cover over it. then you have to have an expensive one that wont rub the paint off. good luck with this project.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Can help with one ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
Anyone have any experience with having several cars shipped to the POCI convention. A number of our local club members are interested in doing this next summer. We would probably have at least six cars. We would all meet at a single location in the Seattle-Tacoma, Washington area.
Driving would be fun, but most are not comfortable driving our old cars approximately 2100 each way

Thanks for any suggestions, Les
Les,

I can provide scheduled enclosed transport for at least one
for $1.25 a loaded mile each way based upon current fuel prices

Jim

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think what might be more appropriate would be a group price for all five or six cars. At least three cars per truck would probably lower the price considerably (but only speculation at this point).

Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the replies. From what I'm hearing , I think my best bet is to just trailer it myself.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It would be most economical to ship them all on an open 6 car carrier, unfortunately as BULLHEIMER had mentioned you do stand the chance of the lower cars getting "spotted" of course this will lead to a lengthy disscussion on who's cars go on top, good luck with that.

Realistically, shipping 3 at a time on an open carrier with nothing overhead would probably be the best choice, however you still have natural elements to think about, namely hail.

A reputable three car open carrier would charge about 2.70-3.00 pm at today's fuel prices, that includes loading,unloading and any other road expenses, tolls bridges etc.

As far as tarping or a car cover, that is pretty much a taboo in the carrier industry, they simply never hold up for long distant transport.

JMHO. Stan

Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac62, if you cover my airfare and gas, I might be willing to drive it for you (I am still nuts enough for adventures like these)! Plus I know my way around these cars so if something failed on the road, most likely I could get 'er back on the highway.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love to ship my car from Long Beac CA.I would only ship with a carrier that had full pans under the top cars.I lost a paint job on my 69 T/A because of brake fluid from a car above mine.Tom

Old 12-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Pontiac62, if you cover my airfare and gas, I might be willing to drive it for you (I am still nuts enough for adventures like these)! Plus I know my way around these cars so if something failed on the road, most likely I could get 'er back on the highway.
Hey Matt, you're a funny guy!
I don't have a problem driving the car. I drove it to the 2008 Convention is Spearfish, SD. Approximately 2800 miles round trip.
However, I was very disappointed in the turnout. I would have thought that you guys from slightly East of the middle of the country could at least meet us half way.
There were six cars from our club driving together. That was fun and very supportive. And yes I changed a fuel pump on the road. But driving alone in a 50 year old car for that distance does not make me warm and fuzzy. The thought of something major happening a long way from home is not appealing to me.

Also, There are only six 62s in our club, and I have never seen three of them. So, with the distance involved and the scarcity of 62s, I'm having trouble drumming up interest.

I know I'll burn more gas with my gas hog dually, but having another vehicle along gives me a little welcome support.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I don't have a problem driving the car. I drove it to the 2008 Convention is Spearfish, SD. Approximately 2800 miles round trip.
However, I was very disappointed in the turnout. I would have thought that you guys from slightly East of the middle of the country could at least meet us half way.
There were six cars from our club driving together. That was fun and very supportive. And yes I changed a fuel pump on the road. But driving alone in a 50 year old car for that distance does not make me warm and fuzzy. The thought of something major happening a long way from home is not appealing to me.

Also, There are only six 62s in our club, and I have never seen three of them. So, with the distance involved and the scarcity of 62s, I'm having trouble drumming up interest.

I know I'll burn more gas with my gas hog dually, but having another vehicle along gives me a little welcome support.

Just make sure you have a trailer hich on the Pontiac, that way when the dually breaks down you can tow it back, just kidding of course, well maybe not.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

You wont be in 2012. Not to derail the thread, but register your car now and get the rooms now. Trust me.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Back to the point of the Thread .....

Back on point .....

Unless you are fairly well off ....

You can not afford to break down on the road driving your classic car
on a 4000 mile plus round trip ....

Most guys can't take the time off of life for the drive,
they usually reserve transport in advance and get a reasonable
round trip airfare also in advance .......

I have hauled to & from car shows for porsche owners ...

With $4.00 a gallon plus diesel - even before $4.00 a gallon
plus diesel - the only " flying wedges " you will get in the
price range listed earlier to haul 3 cars at a time
are the guys than run on

THIS FUEL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	266400  

Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Truly (et al), I am not saying NOT to transport...but I can't think of a better way to bond with, and build confidence in, your car than on a long trip.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Maybe a long Summer trip is not what he wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Truly (et al), I am not saying NOT to transport...but I can't think of a better way to bond with, and build confidence in, your car than on a long trip.
Les, the guy who started this Thread, is 70 years old ...

Perhaps he does not feel comfortable making a 4000 mile round trip ......

Perhaps, when he states:

" But driving alone in a 50 year old car for that distance does not make me warm and fuzzy.
The thought of something major happening a long way from home is not appealing to me. "

He is speaking from experience .....

Perhaps we younger members should repect his position
rather than take issue with it or challenge it .....

Les, whatever you decide to do, safe travels to you ......

Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, I'm 70, I'm not DEAD! I'm perfectly capable of driving my 4 speed GP, 4000 miles.
And, doing repairs myself. Incidental repairs along the road wouldn't be a big deal, but the thought of having someone else do major work on my Pontiac 2000 miles from home is NOT something I'd want to endure.
BTW, you won't believe how soon you all are 70!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post Point taken ....

Quote:
Hey, I'm 70, I'm not DEAD! I'm perfectly capable of driving my 4 speed GP, 4000 miles.
And, doing repairs myself. Incidental repairs along the road wouldn't be a big deal, but the thought of having someone else do major work on my Pontiac 2000 miles from home is NOT something I'd want to endure.
BTW, you won't believe how soon you all are 70!
Les,

I was not questioning your age, I was pointing out your experience

My good friend is Bill is 83 and can do things I can't

To me, age usually is an indicator of experience

Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No offense taken! Hope to meet you at the Convention!
Les

Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

are the guys than run on

THIS FUEL [/I][/QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree with you BUT 2.70-3.00 IS OUR GOING RATE. No I don't have a flying wedge behind a pickup.

We run late model Kenworth T 2000 with 75" aerocab sleepers, my trailers are all 53' aluminum Chaparall's 40,000 a piece.

I have SIX of these T/T all identical and I have been in this business for OVER 20 years, I have always maintained a 100% CD rating, and have always passed our FMCSA audits with flying colors.

We carry 100,000 per unit cargo ins. and can have addional policy riders up to 1 million per load. We are not some fly-by night outfit as your post would indicate.

Care to try again?

Stan

Old 12-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Doing the math .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
are the guys than run on

THIS FUEL [/I]

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you BUT 2.70-3.00 IS OUR GOING RATE. No I don't have a flying wedge behind a pickup.

We run late model Kenworth T 2000 with 75" aerocab sleepers, my trailers are all 53' aluminum Chaparall's 40,000 a piece.

I have SIX of these T/T all identical and I have been in this business for OVER 20 years, I have always maintained a 100% CD rating, and have always passed our FMCSA audits with flying colors.

We carry 100,000 per unit cargo ins. and can have addional policy riders up to 1 million per load. We are not some fly-by night outfit as your post would indicate.

Care to try again?

Stan
Stan,

" A reputable three car open carrier would charge about 2.70-3.00 pm at today's fuel prices, that includes loading,unloading and any other road expenses, tolls bridges etc. "

refers to your company ?

So .....

Doing the math - your company will transport (6) cars for a car show from
WA to the show - wait around a few days for the show - transport the (6)
cars back - utilizing (2) of your trucks & (2) of your drivers for

$5.40 to $6.00 per mile each way ?

Les & his friends should hire you ...........

Jim