Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Trulyvintage;4488059][I]Stan,

" A reputable three car open carrier would charge about 2.70-3.00 pm at today's fuel prices, that includes loading,unloading and any other road expenses, tolls bridges etc. "

refers to your company ?

So .....

Doing the math - your company will transport (6) cars for a car show from
WA to the show - wait around a few days for the show - transport the (6)
cars back - utilizing (2) of your trucks & (2) of your drivers for

$5.40 to $6.00 per mile each way ?

Except for the "waiting around" part you are correct. Since I have national accounts to pull from I would either load those two trucks from the show some where short and then load them back for pickup.

Or I would have those two trucks unload at the show and then reload for parts unknown and then have two other trucks empty at the show for pickup on the appropriate dates.

The charge for this would, AT TODAY"S FUEL PRICES, be no more than 3.00 pm. per truck, correct.

Les & his friends should hire you ........... IF there are interested and I am not booked on those dates, that would be fine.

Bottom line, I just don't understand why you think that is so cheap? Are you thinking that IF you had a three car trailer that you would triple your 1.25 pm and get 3.75 pm?

It really never or rarely works that way. We simply figure our cost to run and pay for the equipment, make a profit and put something away for the future, just the way we have always done it.

Just a couple of my rigs loaded,

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0067.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	266432   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0698.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	266433  

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up That rate can't be beat ....

[QUOTE=Transporter;4488097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
[I]Stan,

" A reputable three car open carrier would charge about 2.70-3.00 pm at today's fuel prices, that includes loading,unloading and any other road expenses, tolls bridges etc. "

refers to your company ?

So .....

Doing the math - your company will transport (6) cars for a car show from
WA to the show - wait around a few days for the show - transport the (6)
cars back - utilizing (2) of your trucks & (2) of your drivers for

$5.40 to $6.00 per mile each way ?

Except for the "waiting around" part you are correct. Since I have national accounts to pull from I would either load those two trucks from the show some where short and then load them back for pickup.

Or I would have those two trucks unload at the show and then reload for parts unknown and then have two other trucks empty at the show for pickup on the appropriate dates.

The charge for this would, AT TODAY"S FUEL PRICES, be no more than 3.00 pm. per truck, correct.

Les & his friends should hire you ........... IF there are interested and I am not booked on those dates, that would be fine.

Bottom line, I just don't understand why you think that is so cheap? Are you thinking that IF you had a three car trailer that you would triple your 1.25 pm and get 3.75 pm?

It really never or rarely works that way. We simply figure our cost to run and pay for the equipment, make a profit and put something away for the future, just the way we have always done it.

Just a couple of my rigs loaded,

Stan
Stan,

For (6) cars split between (2) trucks, no one I know will haul for that price.

If Les & his friends are serious, they would book you now.

Jim

Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Trulyvintage;4488175]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post

Stan,

For (6) cars split between (2) trucks, no one I know will haul for that price.

If Les & his friends are serious, they would book you now.

Jim
Just curious Jim, are you guys running mostly one way loaded? Maybe that is where we are so different? My trucks average 160,000 per year and are loaded at about 90% for all miles.

We do run all states/cities, we no longer do Canada/Alaska as it is just too hard on equipment.

Stan

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Just me Stan ....

[QUOTE=Transporter;4488180]
Quote:

Just curious Jim, are you guys running mostly one way loaded? Maybe that is where we are so different? My trucks average 160,000 per year and are loaded at about 90% for all miles.

We do run all states/cities, we no longer do Canada/Alaska as it is just too hard on equipment.

Stan
Stan,

Just me - so I can only speak for myself.

I don't move unless I am getting paid.

How do you feel about the 100k weight limit push ?

Jim

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Trulyvintage;4488293]
Quote:

Stan,

Just me - so I can only speak for myself.

I don't move unless I am getting paid.

How do you feel about the 100k weight limit push ?

Jim

Hey Jim, I guess I have mixed feelings about the weight increase proposals, on one hand it just doesn't affect us at all since we are always under 80,000

On the other hand, I can see where it might help productivity some but I would hope that there would be some restrictions on those loads, just like hauling doubles/triples or tanker, you just don't take someone right out of school and throw them in that situation.

Our issues are always dealing with height and length more than weight. We are already MAXED out at 75' long plus usually 4' of rear overhang takes us to 79'.

I can also slide my 5th wheel/trailer back about a foot IF I HAVE TO, not legal in all states but I have done it. That put me at 80' overall length.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Transporter;4488663]
Quote:

Hey Jim, I guess I have mixed feelings about the weight increase proposals, on one hand it just doesn't affect us at all since we are always under 80,000

On the other hand, I can see where it might help productivity some but I would hope that there would be some restrictions on those loads, just like hauling doubles/triples or tanker, you just don't take someone right out of school and throw them in that situation.

Our issues are always dealing with height and length more than weight. We are already MAXED out at 75' long plus usually 4' of rear overhang takes us to 79'.

I can also slide my 5th wheel/trailer back about a foot IF I HAVE TO, not legal in all states but I have done it. That put me at 80' overall length.

I hear ya .....

I think the push really comes from Canada and/or Mexico ....
With NAFTA ..... these countries are sending their rigs here more & more

Well, I think we have hijacked this thread long enough .....

Hope you & your crew have a safe Holiday ....

Jim

Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Trulyvintage;4488783]
Quote:

Well, I think we have hijacked this thread long enough .....

Hope you & your crew have a safe Holiday ....

Jim
[/I]
LOL, same to you on the holidays, backin on out.

Stan

Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I decided to revive this old thread to let you know what we have decided to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Truly (et al), I am not saying NOT to transport...but I can't think of a better way to bond with, and build confidence in, your car than on a long trip.

After a lot of back and forth discussion, We have finally decided to drive the Pontiac to St. Charles. I'm doing a lot of bonding with the car BEFORE the trip, so that it will be nice to me on the way.
Hope to meet a lot of you guys at the convention and finally put a face with the name and the car.

Thanks for helping me decide,
Les

Old 06-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Safe Travels !

Safe Travels !

Jim

Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
I decided to revive this old thread to let you know what we have decided to do.

After a lot of back and forth discussion, We have finally decided to drive the Pontiac to St. Charles. I'm doing a lot of bonding with the car BEFORE the trip, so that it will be nice to me on the way.
Hope to meet a lot of you guys at the convention and finally put a face with the name and the car.

Thanks for helping me decide,
Les
OUTSTANDING, Les. Man I can't wait to see your car and meet you after all these years!