Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 04-16-2023, 11:13 AM

Default 1960 Catalina convertible interior

I am getting interested in 1960 Catalina convertibles. As best as I can tell, the Catalina convertible had a two-tone all vinyl interior, bench seat. In my opinion, rather plain. Was there an optional interior available, like a bucket seat interior?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bucket seats would have been available as a special order option, but the buckets used at that time were quite rare and as a result are very expensive to buy if you can even find them today - the last set i saw were selling for something like $4,000 and they needed to be rebuilt. [GM used the same style bucket seats from 1957 through 1961, they can be identified by the hard shell backs. The same basic bucket seat was also available from Buick, Olds and Cadillac, just with different upholstery.] You can always adapt bucket seats from a newer car, but of course they won't be 'original' if that's a concern.

Catalinas had relatively plain interiors, to get something fancier in a convertible you had to buy a Bonneville. The factory brochure has illustrations of the interiors in both models, you can look at it here: http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...ure/index.html

Old 04-16-2023, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buckets were only available on a 60 Bonneville convertible, but I have seen a few 60 Bonneville coupes that supposedly had them from
the factory

Old 04-17-2023, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the inputs. So any Catalina convertibles I see for sale with bucket seats are probably not factory. I have seen a few with the Bonneville buckets, but I doubt the factory would allow a person to buy a lower priced Catalina and then put Bonneville seats in it.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just going by what they did in 1961 - bucket seats were a regular option only in Bonneville convertibles, but in the fine print of the dealer information they also said buckets were available in other models under special order. That may not have been the case in earlier years.