Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-08-2024, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drove these cars when they were only a couple of years old as daily drivers and they made great winter cars. Snow tires with a limited slip differential and some weight in the trunk worked great. Also back then the fad was to jack up your car a few inches for the gasser look. Great ground clearance. Today I will still drive my old cars if the roads are clear. There is not enough salt residue to worry about. Besides I am 76 years old and what am I saving the cars for? The next owner? Enjoy your car before it's too late.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I drove these cars when they were only a couple of years old as daily drivers and they made great winter cars. Snow tires with a limited slip differential and some weight in the trunk worked great. Also back then the fad was to jack up your car a few inches for the gasser look. Great ground clearance. Today I will still drive my old cars if the roads are clear. There is not enough salt residue to worry about. Besides I am 76 years old and what am I saving the cars for? The next owner? Enjoy your car before it's too late.
I'll be 49 this year. My GTO was my first car and I drove it in the snow all the time in the 90's without thinking twice about it.

It's a close call. I think it would be super cool for my kids to grow up with memories of me using the GTO as a daily driver and for road trips the same way my parents did. Considering the long winters in eastern WA, there's an awful lot of time we could spend in the car if i did snow tires where I wouldn't feel safe without them.

I run studded snows on my 2500HD all winter long. I wouldn't consider driving in snow or ice without them, especially in an old car like that.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You'll have to check to see if they have your size, but Hakkapelitta tires from Nokian are probably the best snow tires available. Don't forget to put snow tires on all four wheels, not just the rear like we used to do. https://www.nokiantires.com
Nokians will be hard to beat but also look at Les Schwab "I FIT Ice" as they are an equal if not a very close second. Friends are running N's in Bozeman and I know of a studded set of I FITs in Butte MT on a Honda Civic and my daughter loves them. It is a low HX model and it pushes it's way through snow amazingly and ice is not a problem either on all the hilly streets. Winters are long and it snows a lot over a mile high in the Rockies and I wasn't going to compromise her safety.

Don't fall for the crafty Blizzack name!

Old 02-08-2024, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's why I moved South. Too much $ invested to even think about it. Of course, snow/salt days are minimal and surpassed by sun and fun in NC. Supposed to be in the 70s and sunny on Saturday.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-08-2024, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's tough to find 15" snow tires so I would go with whatever i could get really ... not much available.