Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-29-2002, 10:46 PM

I just had my tranny rebuilt and had a tight shift kit put in it. I'm still breaking the engine in and I had a new torque converter put in too. The TC has a 3000 stall, I think, and it's to match a 3.08 rear end that I don't have yet. Now it's a 2.56. Anyway, it started acting funny a few days ago, the engine was revving way to high for the acceleration, like it was slipping real bad. It only did it a couple of times then drove fine. Today on the way to work, it wouldn't shift out of 1st. I figured out thet if I manually shifted it into "L", then "S", then into "D", it would work OK. Checked the vacuum line and it looked fine. It also leaks tranny fluid quite a bit but there's plenty in it now. I know I just need to take it back to the place that rebuilt it but with the holidays and working night's, I don't know when I can do that. What can I do to further diagnose or fix this problem myself? HELP! I hate to rev my new engine so much! (plus 25 mph max sucks).

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.

Old 12-29-2002, 10:46 PM

I just had my tranny rebuilt and had a tight shift kit put in it. I'm still breaking the engine in and I had a new torque converter put in too. The TC has a 3000 stall, I think, and it's to match a 3.08 rear end that I don't have yet. Now it's a 2.56. Anyway, it started acting funny a few days ago, the engine was revving way to high for the acceleration, like it was slipping real bad. It only did it a couple of times then drove fine. Today on the way to work, it wouldn't shift out of 1st. I figured out thet if I manually shifted it into "L", then "S", then into "D", it would work OK. Checked the vacuum line and it looked fine. It also leaks tranny fluid quite a bit but there's plenty in it now. I know I just need to take it back to the place that rebuilt it but with the holidays and working night's, I don't know when I can do that. What can I do to further diagnose or fix this problem myself? HELP! I hate to rev my new engine so much! (plus 25 mph max sucks).

Old 12-30-2002, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3000 stall converter and 2.56 gears are a big no-no.(I don't think 3.08 are a good idea either) You will never get the converter to lock up. That is why you have the feeling that the tranny is slipping.

"Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of Congress... seems I repeated myself." --Mark Twain

Old 12-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with that. I doubt the convertor will be locked up at highway speed which will cause it to slip and heat up, damaging the trans too. I would go with atleast some 3.42-3.55s.

Old 12-30-2002, 09:54 PM

I may be wrong about the stall in the torque converter but I'm kinda stuck with the 3.08 for now - I already bought it, just waiting for it to be shipped. I don't know much about TC's (I've read a bunch but still clueless) so I had the guy that did my engine pick one for my application. I can't remember what it was specifically. Good news though, although the vacuum lines looked good last night, upon further inspection the rubber line at the tranny was torn. Too sharp of an angle with the steel line. It was an easy fix. I found that fluid is leaking out where the speedo cable connects and I'm not sure how to fix that yet. The rest of the fluid under the car is oil coming from the valve cover at the #7 cylinder and running down the exhaust manifold and pipes. The load spreader things for the valve covers were gone a long time ago so I guess it just got warped. I'm very relieved that this all ended up being so minor. I'll look into the TC stall though. I like the taller gears and it's a daily driver so I'll see how I like the 3.08 and maybe switch later. Thanks for the input.