THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like alot.
My ultimate dream car, based purely on looks, is a Lamborghini Miura.
I would love to have an old Porche 356 coupe - there's something stripped down and cool about them... who cares if it's essentially a rebodied bug!?
My modern day choice would be a Challenger R/T Scatpack; six speed, in either B5 Blue, or Header Orange... or maybe Plum Crazy...
But even if I could afford one or all of these, I'd still have to have at least one or two Pontiacs...
I've pretty much become a dyed in the wool Pontiac fan...
who prefers they be powered with a stock (or stock appearing) Pontiac V8.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM

You are not alone! I love my Pontiacs, my first was a 67 Bird that I swapped from a 2 speed auto to a 4 speed in a gravel driveway. Transformed that into a seriously fun car! My wife, before I met her, had a 69 Firebird coupe but was driving a 76 when I met her. Lots of time has passed since I had those cool old cars but in the last 13 years my time and money have gone into a 69 Firebird TA convertible clone/tribute restoration project with a 400 4 speed. It is accurate down to the stack gauges and Ram Air underhood parts. Check it out here: https://www.scott-davisphotography.c...bird-Trans-am/

But Pontiacs are not my only love! I've had dalliances with Datsun's (2 late 60s 510s and a 260Z) Chevys (73 Vega GT-No flaming! Gas got REAL expensive when I picked that one up...., 73 Vette) VW's ( a 79 Scirocco, 2 83 GTI's an 85 Jetta, and my current drivers, 2013 Sportwagen and my wife's red 2013 GTI with a Stage II chip. Very fun!) And a few Mazdas thrown in for the Zoom-Zoom thing. Almost all our cars have been manual gearboxes (We both love the feel and driver involvement that a stick offers.)

If I had a limitless budget I would own all three generation of Ford GT's. And a late 60's AMX, and something MOPAR with a Hemi or 440. And, last but not least a 70 to 73 Firebird Formula with a 4 speed and a real Pontiac engine. (Might even trade for my 69 convertible if you have one!)

In other words, I like anything with wheels from any continent or brand, but it must be interesting, fun, and have three pedals.

Thanks for such a thought-provoking post.

Bill Jacobs

An all Pontiac T/A lookalike and a work in process. 99% done

Bill Jacobs
Old 10-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Im a mopar FWD Look guy with a 70 GTO why hate?

I got hooked on 50's mopar fins...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57Dodge.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	495293  

Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

I am a Pontiac guy. I've had 11, 55-57 Pontiacs [all chieftains except one 56 Safari] and my 79 Ford pickup had a firebird subframe, GTO rear axle, and a 400/350 turbo Pontiac drivetrain. My present car is a 34 ford coupe with a 370 cu in Pontiac, Trans am Muncie 4 speed trans. Oh, I've had other brands but they never seemed to measure up. My daily driver is a little chevy HHR panel but only because I can't buy a new Pontiac anymore.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
Im a mopar FWD Look guy with a 70 GTO why hate?

Those are freaking awesome!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
When I was a kid my mother had a '58 Dodge, with I think the poly 318 under the hood. It was a cheap used car that was totally worn out...that poor thing could hardly make it up hills.

At the same time our main car was a '61 Catalina. Nothing against the Dodge, but if you look at my avatar you can see which way I went as an adult.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

solid Pontiac, but as iv'e gotten older I respect them all. cant say like though! ha. now when I was young I didn't like dodge at all, they seemed so cheaply made compared to gm. didn't like the way fords looked. I did like chevys but not enough to jump over to em. they all looked great with those period chrome crager wheels.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:41 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I've always liked anything with wheels. It just happened that the first engine I modified (in 1959) was a Tri-Power 347, which sold me on the Strato-Streak's good design- which could grow to 455 c.i. and still swap heads etc. But I get a kick out of all sorts of machinery. When I turned 75 I decided to start driving various milestones in cars that are new-to-me, starting with the 1917 Buick I've driven the last three summers. Now I want to experience the progress made in about 20 years, so I'm looking for a luxurious sedan- something like a '39 or '40 LaSalle, since I've already had lesser thirties cars (Chev, etc.).

Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Those are freaking awesome!
Arnie from the movie, thought they were awesome too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Arnie from the movie, thought they were awesome too.
Pictured was a '57 Coronet, and the movie featured a '58 Belvedere that they call a Fury.

Exner cars rule, especially the '57 DeSoto.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really got hooked on Pontiacs so that remains my core interest, but the fierce, unrelenting brand loyalty that defined most of our illogical high school days has mellowed with time. Just like my music tastes have evolved from "only" heavy metal to almost everything today, so has my appreciation for cars. If I win the powerball, I'll have my own version of Jay's garage.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I win this billion dollar powerball drawing this week LOL I will have a 55-59 Cadillac 2 door coupe Deville completely restored and optioned out to use as my daily comfortable driver and will relegate the tempest to street bruiser duty. Can’t beat a big rolling couch for comfort

Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM

Default Early VW Buses.....

....are what I'm into, as well as my Pontiacs.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
I lean toward GM, but honestly I think that's just because that is 90% of what I grew up around. However, I've always loved most anything from the muscle era as well as prewar Fords. A Hurst SC/Rambler is very high on my "win the lottery" list. Here is a pic of the Falcon that I had a couple years ago and the '56 International S100 that will hopefully make it into the shop before my son starts driving(10 years - Lol).

The Falcon was my first time spraying an entire car... done in my garage.
I'm glad there is someone else here with an old Binder.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	516937  

Old 08-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
I'm glad there is someone else here with an old Binder.

Bill
Nice truck! Unfortunately, the one I posted is down the road now. Sold it to make space for a Model A coupe that I found by accident. Then the A had to be sold to raise $ for a transmission in my daily. And so it goes...

Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never liked Fords as a younger dude. My Dad told me they would "Nickel and dime" you to death. Had a couple of MOPAR's and was not impressed, I felt like they were made like crap and hated working on them. Things have changed as I now have a Jeep and a Mercury and they are great vehicles. Had a lot of Chevies mostly by opportunity but Pontiac has always been my favorite. Must be the torque!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like pretty much anything with an engine. Not necessarily just cars.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love Pontiacs but I've owned a few Chevy's, Buick's and a Ford Mustang.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am 100% Pontiac. I rarely look at anything else at car shows. If I do look at something else, it is all original and correct muscle cars.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac all the way since I can remember when I was a kid. My folks only bought Pontiacs right up to when my step-father passed away in 95. Mom waited until 96 and bought the first Ford. That was a 96 Taurus wagon. When she passed away in 07 I got it. It was a pretty nice car and could haul 8 people... which it did a couple of times. Other than an episode of engine hydraulic lock it was a dam good car. I'd still have it but "The Warden" wanted something different in 2016. So we ended up with a 2014 Focus SE that mechanically, transmission wise, is a POS. On the other hand the gas mileage is great on a trip. And it has power to spare. Last August I got 38.7 mpg on my trip from Delaware up to my hometown of Massena, NY in Northern NY.

The very first car I owned was a 66 GTO. The only brand spankin' new car I've ever owned was a 79 Formula. I've had used Pontiacs in between, which I wish I still had, and a couple of other brands. One being a Plain Jane 71 Camaro and the other a 66 Porsche 912E. on both. LOL As of now, I'm still running a 2000 Jeep GC Laredo. It's still pretty dependable seeing it's 20 years old.

As for a classic car.... only a Pontiac will do.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 08-02-2019 at 07:49 PM.