Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Quadra-jet loses fuel while sitting.

I'm struggling a bit with the last couple tuning issues with my quadra-jet. It's a 1978 T/A W72 carb (original to my car) on a reasonably stout 428.

My issue is that I lose all the fuel out of the fuel bowl if the car sits for more than a few days. If I start it every day or two there is no problem, it starts as well as my late model Chevy truck. If it sits for 5-6 days its hard to start. If I let it sit more than a week, forget about it. I could crank it all day....I use a squirt bottle of gas to prime the carb and it starts right up.

The last time I had it started was about 3 weeks ago. Today I pulled the carb & carefully took it apart, so as not to spill any remaining fuel. It was bone dry; as well, there was no fuel sitting in the intake plenum.

When the carb was rebuilt I re-sealed the plugs with marine epoxy - I don't think they are leaking. But I can't figure out where the gas is going. Any thoughts?