The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-07-2022, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint Chips

Does anyone know how to get a paint chip for Signet Gold or Tiger Gold. I going to paint my 67 LeMans the factory paint is still on the car which is Signet Gold but I actually like Tiger Gold better. Both were colors available in 1967 for the A-Body and F-Body. I want to use Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 and they will need a chip to match it up as they don't have those colors in their system. Thanks

Old 02-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try ebay, paint chip books come around from time to time. Could check around if there are any old school shops as well that might have some old books about. My brothers painted vans in the 70's and had stacks of those old colour books. All of them were thrown out years ago. Had I known then they would would have been saved.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I guess my question would be if I want to paint it the factory color (Signet Gold) where do I get the correct paint? Or if I decide to paint it Tiger Gold? I have seen cars painted like this wonder what they did. I'm new to the painting world just looking for some insight. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Auto Color Library has a color chip chart showing it, with the PPG code number - it's called Coronado Gold on the PPG chart. They may be able to cross reference that number to Sherwin-Williams. You can order paint from them as well, although I don't know if they are the best source. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...HorizontalTab2

Old 02-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

The color chip won't do you any good if they are going to scan it. The original color chips weren't that accurate, and by now they have degraded too much.

You say the car still has original paint on it. If you polish a small area, the paint store can scan it, and now they can mix the color. Sherwin Williams may have the mix in their upper tier 9000 line. More toners and better matching is usually the case with upper tier paint lines. Lower tier (7000) may not work, but they should have suggested that. Sometimes paint stores are like the old junkyards, not very much help until you spend some money.

PPG or Axalta may have the mix in their upper tier paint lines.

The Ditzler (PPG today) code for Coronado Gold (Tiger Gold) is 22728.

Another alternative is a late model factory color that is very close to either of your choices.

Go to the House of Kolor website and check out Solar Gold. Very close to tiger gold but with a little more metallic.

I have also gotten paint from one of the touch up sites and sprayed a test panel. If it looked good, I got it scanned.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is very helpful thanks for the info

Old 02-07-2022, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Swap meets, I sold a dozen or two off, a guy at the Dustoff always has chips.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-07-2022, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your painter is willing to use PPG Deltron base coat (DBC) I can supply you with the info your PPG paint store needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would not use Sherwin Williams. Coverage will likely be very poor. PPG DBC is a better choice. More expensive but decent coverage. Use a high quality slow reducer.

Here’s DBC base I sprayed recently. Three coats.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01EFF4D7-D4D2-46E9-AB5E-13E56D920611.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	583735  

Last edited by dhutton; 02-08-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:45 AM

Here you go.
The Ultra 7000 formulas are:
B7-5240444 Special Option Color "Geeto" Tiger Gold
B7-4263658 Code "G" Signet Gold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Codes.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	583737  

Old 02-08-2022, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are codes. Formulas tell which toners and how much of each.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used Ultra 7000 for years ( it’s been called UB 7, etc) and IMO it’s a top quality, top tier 1:1 mix line of base. The coverage is excellent. They also have Dimension which is their lower tier (2:1 mix) but also a nice alternative for some colors. Ultra 9000 is a waterborne base and unless you’re setup for that it probably isn’t an option.
Occasionally I’ll use Chad’s In Michigan for paint. He mixes Ultra, Dimension and some other good brands. Great guy to work with and though it sounds clunky to order by mail he makes sure you’re happy.
http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio

Old 02-09-2022, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Flynbye, thanks a lot for providing the paint codes much appreciated. A friend of mine in Arizona who is gone now used to restore cars and he did top quality work he used Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 so I will go with that especially now that I have the paint codes. Don that Corvette you painted looks fantastic I bet when you put the clear on it will really pop. I am going to paint this car myself, it will be my first paint job. All the body panels are in good shape and the gaps look good too. Hopefully when I remove the paint there will not be too many surprises. I will have to weld in a trunk pan but that should be easy compared to paining a whole car. I appreciate all the responses and still have a lot to learn before I get started on the job.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
I’ve used Ultra 7000 for years ( it’s been called UB 7, etc) and IMO it’s a top quality, top tier 1:1 mix line of base. The coverage is excellent. They also have Dimension which is their lower tier (2:1 mix) but also a nice alternative for some colors. Ultra 9000 is a waterborne base and unless you’re setup for that it probably isn’t an option.
Occasionally I’ll use Chad’s In Michigan for paint. He mixes Ultra, Dimension and some other good brands. Great guy to work with and though it sounds clunky to order by mail he makes sure you’re happy.
http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio
I agree. Ultra 7000 rocks. It also stays flexible so it wont crack on endura bumpers. I tried PPG on a 69 GTO and the bumper starting cracking after a couple of years. I painted another 69 with Ultra 7000 and after 10 years not one crack. Great stuff.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you got factory color under the deck lid….buff it …then polish it…then spray it with window cleaner and wipe it off in one direction…then have some one do the camera shot. Preferably a paint rep…cus other guys at paint store can’t cut it. Then that camera shot can be put into the machine and then he can start messing with tints and seeing computer generated “ Spray out “ cards. The metallic match will be the most challenging….good luck…then with that info,..you can have it crossed over to the paint company of your choice

Old 02-11-2022, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

GREAT,GREAT info!!