THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The Dreaded Saturday Night Phone Call from the Drag Strip

Yup, got it tonight. Won't mention any names but the caller wanted to know if I had an extra 64 GTO ignition switch w/key he could "borrow". I said let me check and I'll call you back. Didn't have one but would have been more than happy to bring it to him as he was 5 miles from my house.

Asked him for more info and he said he'd been drag racing last weekend up North from me and got an invite to come to our clubs race night. He had left his car on the trailer from last weekend, jumped in his truck and came 150 miles to race here. Only a small problem was the fact that he left his keys for the race car at home.

Not a problem Stef, better luck next time but we do love the effort you made.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up in Chicago. Next time call me. I’ll have it running in 60 seconds.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Only a small problem was the fact that he left his keys for the race car at home.
I did the same thing this weekend, after driving from Detroit to Indy.

Fortunately - I learned a long time ago to keep a spare set in the toolbox...

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being able to start the car was only part of the problem. Seems he had a fuel cell in the trunk and somehow that put another kink in his plans.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2 brothers and myself loaded up the trailer with motorcycles, hooked up to the rv. Headed to Daytona for bike week. After 12 hours or so on the road we pulled into the waffel house in St Augustine. One of us asked the others, did you bring a key for the trailer? We all thought the others had one! SO, the first stop we made when we got into town was Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters. Wouldn't you know it, as we were in the parking lot cutting the lock off of the trailer, not one person even noticed.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
My 2 brothers and myself loaded up the trailer with motorcycles, hooked up to the rv. Headed to Daytona for bike week. After 12 hours or so on the road we pulled into the waffel house in St Augustine. One of us asked the others, did you bring a key for the trailer? We all thought the others had one! SO, the first stop we made when we got into town was Home Depot for a pair of bolt cutters. Wouldn't you know it, as we were in the parking lot cutting the lock off of the trailer, not one person even noticed.
You just proved that the average person isn't very perceptive, and also why even though most thieves aren't overly bright, they can still get away with stealing your stuff in broad daylight.

To be a thief you just need to act like you own what you're stealing, looking over your shoulder (guilty) is what trips most of them up. If someone questions you, you need a BS story as to why you're doing something out of the ordinary, and people just go on with their lives, most never give it a second thought.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

race cars don't have keys

Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrrregg!!! View Post
race cars don't have keys
Ain't that the truth, probably why over the years I know of 2 real race cars that were stolen. One oval track car was driven to the local high school where they ran it around the running track on the outside of the football field. Then just left it there undamaged, luckily!!!

The other one was just started and moved a few feet and they either got spooked and ran off, or it stalled and they couldn't get it started.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at the local cruise in a while back. A friend pulled in in his 66 LeMans. Had his 2 kids in car seats in the back. He & his wife got out & automatically locked & closed the doors. Kids in back & keys in the ignition. His wife started freaking out. I got up & walked over with my keys. Wiggled my 61 Tempest key in the door lock & it popped open!!

POCI.org
Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
I was at the local cruise in a while back. A friend pulled in in his 66 LeMans. Had his 2 kids in car seats in the back. He & his wife got out & automatically locked & closed the doors. Kids in back & keys in the ignition. His wife started freaking out. I got up & walked over with my keys. Wiggled my 61 Tempest key in the door lock & it popped open!!
Our '60 Corvair and our '64 Lemans used the same ignition key.

Dad hopped in the Corvair and took off one day, and after a few minutes was like "hey...wait a minute!". Wrong set of keys in the ignition.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-24-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I did the same thing this weekend, after driving from Detroit to Indy.

Fortunately - I learned a long time ago to keep a spare set in the toolbox...

The backstory here is, when I was a youngster, I took the Chevelle to the local alignment shop to get the front end lined up.

I had the car on the open trailer. I was friends with the owner, so he and most of the shop came out to "ooh" and "ahh" over the car on the trailer.

Went to unload - and - no keys. How embarrassing! Had to run all the way back home (9 or 10 miles) to get the keys so I could unload and finish my original task.

That was probably 35 or 40 years ago but ever since then: spare keys in the toolbox.

K

Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Had a similar situation with a buddy of mine when we went to a show a few years ago. Show was over 200 miles away from home when he closed the trunk of his 67 chevelle with the keys in them. We both panicked a little bit but we both knew we could take the back seat out to get into the trunk. Before going that route, I went over to his trunk and told him, 'Let me try my key just for ****s and giggles'. Sure enough my key was able to pop his trunk and he was able to grab his keys.

Pretty funny that an key for a 68 gto would work for a 67 chevelle.