WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Transmission Tech

04-06 Transmission Tech Automatic or Manual trans issues

Old 06-18-2005, 04:58 PM

How smooth is the shift on your automatic transmission? Mine seems a little jerky when I take off slowly. It seems to "bump" just a little from 1st to 2nd and then gets a little better from 2nd to 3rd. When I take off faster the shift is a lot smoother.

I have had stick shift cars all my life. The only time I drive automatic is when I drive rental cars and it's been over 12 months since I rented one so I really can't remember how smooth it was.

Maybe this is the way that the automatic GTO shifts?
I would appreciate some feedback from all the other A4 drivers on the forum.

Other than the shift "problem" the car is running great and I am really happy with it.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:58 PM

How smooth is the shift on your automatic transmission? Mine seems a little jerky when I take off slowly. It seems to "bump" just a little from 1st to 2nd and then gets a little better from 2nd to 3rd. When I take off faster the shift is a lot smoother.

I have had stick shift cars all my life. The only time I drive automatic is when I drive rental cars and it's been over 12 months since I rented one so I really can't remember how smooth it was.

Maybe this is the way that the automatic GTO shifts?
I would appreciate some feedback from all the other A4 drivers on the forum.

Other than the shift "problem" the car is running great and I am really happy with it.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd have to agree, seems to shift a bit rough but quite frankly this is my first experience with TC and not sure which is the source. When I remember to switch TC off, I don't notice the shift issues as much? I may be way off but will pay closer attention over the next couple weeks...
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My A4 has too, on occassion, seemed to shift rather abruptly especially on non-aggressive acceleration. But lately it has been shifting so smooth it's barely perceptible. The A4 is an adaptive transmission programmed to shift according to the "learned" driving style. It's supposed to tailor the shifts to your particular driving style and it probably gets confused sometimes. I'm sure the TC factors into this equation as well.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that makes sense seeing as my wife and I differ greatly in driving style! LOL