Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default 55-60 engine in a 50 coupe???

I went back 5 pages to look because I thought somebody on this site had either done it or knew somebody who did it. I've adopted a nice little bronze 1950 coupe with the straight 8/hydramatic.
Been soaking the engine and it came free without too much struggle. Gotta repair some fabric covered wiring and I'll be ready to light it off. But even if it runs sweet, doesn't smoke I know me. I won't be happy with another straight 8 car. My 34 ford coupe with a Pontiac 370/muncie 4 speed runs like Jack the bear. I'm addicted to the performance and would like to either
1.....find a 59-60 389 to build for the Pontiac coupe..or
2....Pull the 370 engine and trans from my ford coupe and sell it as a roller.
But the point of all this is to find if anybody here has used the straight 8 motor mount brackets to bolt in the V/8 engine. I also wonder if the 55 pontiac bell housing would bolt up to my 1950 transmission. If I'm able to score a good 55-early 56 [870-860 model] would it bolt into my 50 chassis....thanks in advance!