Old 06-09-2021, 01:28 PM

Default All pushrods squirting oil except for one.

While running my 400 with the valve covers off one side at a time, I noticed the rocker arm second from the firewall on cylinder 8 was barely dribbling oil out of the push rod through the rocker. Engine has about 2000 miles on it.
All the other rockers are squirting oil. Thanks

Old 06-09-2021, 05:44 PM

I pulled the affected rocker and pushrod the rod appears straight and not clogged up. While engine was running I also backed off the rocker until it chattered and tighten until it stopped then another 1/2- 3/4 turn tight. I still dont have oil squirting from that pushrod just dribbling out. I believe I can hear the lifter tapping as well. I'm thinking about pulling the intake and replacing that lifter. Thanks

Old 06-10-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the factory rockers on the car? If so, the rocker arm just gets torqued to 20 ft-lbs.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:31 PM

Thanks, I have torqued then all to 20. I'm still getting slight to moderate tick from one of the lifters on the 8# cylinder. I'll try marvel mystery oil in the crankcase until I pull the manifold and valley pan to change all the lifters. I think that would be the correct thing to do with that lifter tick and very little oil dribbling out of the pushrod. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 06-10-2021, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

I would just pull the one out and take it apart, I suspect you will find dirt in it. You had success breaking in this cam and lifters, would hate to see a problem breaking in another set of lifters.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
...I'll try marvel mystery oil in the crankcase until I pull the manifold and valley pan to change all the lifters...
You may want to try forcing a large straw around the top ball and drip in the mystery oil a few times - it may seep into the lifter and save you from pulling the intake.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:32 AM

Thanks,BB70 & Scarebird. I'll try the MMO down the pushrod,and if no luck, pull the lifter and clean it. Great ideas.