The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-25-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Salvage title opinions

I'm curious what the opinions are of a car that has a salvage title and also has gone through a frame off restoration. Does this affect one's opinion on value or purchase hesitation?
I ask because I'm about finished with a frame off on my 72 Lemans convertible with T41 front end, numbers matching 400 (rebuilt and dynoed at 310HP and 400 ft. lbs. torque) with 400 tranny and safety track rear. It's an AC car, power disc front brakes, p.s., bucket seats with floor shift console.
I'm taking it for an alignment tomorrow and will be driving it regularly soon.
It's a great looking car (I painted it myself Lamborghini orange).
I just hate the thought I put all this money into a salvage title car. But, everything is new and rebuilt, so does it really matter other than a piece of paper? I told myself I would never buy a salvage title vehicle. But, I was sold on the project before I became aware of the title status.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First off it's the quality of the restoration that will determine the desirability therefore the value. To me there are too many reasons that a 40 year old car could have a salvage title to worry about it.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the '80s when it would have been worth $500 as a running car with a clean title, it would have taken little more than a door ding to "total" it . These cars are old now, and many have been cut apart and put back together. If the frame is straight and the rest of the car is in good shape, I wouldn't let it bother you one bit. The only possible sticking point I could see in the future would be resale value and sometimes insurance companies are hesitant to cover salvage title cars.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-26-2021, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No sense worrying about it if you already spent the money. Enjoy it!

Old 05-26-2021, 06:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does your state allow "salvage" title vehicles to be used on the road? In NJ you cant, you have to get it switched to a rebuilt title, which involves an inspection and documentation of repairs and purchasing of parts (proof their not stolen). I'd check with your insurance company to see what their policy is.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Salvage title opinions

I haven’t found an insurance company that would issue “full coverage” insurance for a rebuilt title in Kansas. Liability only. Granted I haven’t check every company but I’ve checked with quite a few.

Any of you who have comprehensive insurance on a rebuilt title, would you please name the company?

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had full insurance on a work truck with a rebuilt title in California. Wasnt a classic though. Might be a state to state thing.

It for sure affects the value to most people. But if you dont plan on getting rid of it who cares?

Me personally? I would jump through hoops, both legit and shady to get a real title for the car however I could. Others will vehemently disagree. This comes up every now and again with strong opinions on either side. I wouldnt feel the least bit bad about dirty tricks to get a clean title for a nice car that was rebuilt from the frame up. Mostly because I think the system is broken, there should be a legit way to get one if the car has been repaired.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I had full insurance on a work truck with a rebuilt title in California. Wasnt a classic though. Might be a state to state thing.

It for sure affects the value to most people. But if you dont plan on getting rid of it who cares?

Me personally? I would jump through hoops, both legit and shady to get a real title for the car however I could. Others will vehemently disagree. This comes up every now and again with strong opinions on either side. I wouldnt feel the least bit bad about dirty tricks to get a clean title for a nice car that was rebuilt from the frame up. Mostly because I think the system is broken, there should be a legit way to get one if the car has been repaired.
I agree with this as long as nothing is stolen and it's on the up and up. These cars are 30, 40 and 50 years old. If the car is somewhat restored then there is nothing salvage about. As long as there no frame damage who gives a $h!t? If you bought a legitimate frame from one place, a body from somewhere else, used doors from another car and a hood from another car etc. does that make it salvage? Where do you draw the line? Again as long as nothing is stolen...and you don't advertise it as all original. JMHO

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-26-2021, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The title was a salvage from 1995 when it had a small fender bender. Mind you this is an endura front end. The one fender needed replacing as well as hood and bumper. You know the expense of these parts for these cars. Back then, the car was rusty also. The insurance company sees it as a 20 year old worn out rust bucket in need of quarter panels and totals it. The body shop guy buys it from the people (or insurance co.) he was estimating the damage for. He tore it apart and replaced quarters and painted most of car, less one door, hood, valances and bumper. Drive train was out and apart. It sits in shop for another 10 years. His son gets car when dad closes shop. That's where I came into it. I blew it all apart and repainted everything, replaced everything it needed with new.
I just had it insured last week for $35k, but never mentioned to insurance it has salvage title.
I may move to Fla. from MN now that I retired. I thought of residing in Alabama first, which isn't a title state, then to Fla. Not sure if that salvage title follows registration or not.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
as long as nothing is stolen...and you don't advertise it as all original. JMHO
100% how I feel. Others (especially past LEOs) get in their feelings about it. Some people are going to be against anything that opens the door for abusive behavior. My opinion is that shady people are going to find their way around the rules anyway, so draconian laws on things like this topic really only punish normal honest people.

This usually comes up because people sell vin tags with clean titles. Which obviously you can see how someone could use that in a less than upstanding manner. However, with popular cars like Corvettes and F bodies, you can build an entire car out of a catalog. I dont see the difference between taking a rust bucket and replacing every panel on it, and building a car out of a catalog then slapping a vintage vin tag on it. But somehow people see those as two different things. Reasonable people can disagree, but I dont get it.

But it all comes down to your original quote, as long as you arent advertising it as original.

Also, because someone else will probably read this and get mad I feel the need to point out that I am not pro being shady. I am anti stupid law. EVERYTHING is fixable with time and money. So I dont see why a car should get stuck with a second class citizen title for the rest of its life when surgery can be performed to make it better than new. Same goes for lost titles. The rules just seem written for 40 years ago. Now the states all talk to each other, everything is databased. It should be easy to do these things through legit channels.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any way to “clean” it by running it through a no title state, etc. then getting a new one?

The Following User Says Thank You to bdk1976 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I wondered myself. I think the only way to do that, is to be a resident of that state (like Alabama with no titles).
Think of how many old cars are restored that have good titles, but still have fenders, hoods, etc. replaced due to rust or damage. It's just that time took it's toll on it's once pristine condition without insurance companies being involved for reimbursements.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sell it on paper to a person in a old car title optional state, have it registered and titled there, then sell it back to you with a title.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

It is not that former LEO's are upset, they know what can happen if the state gets involved and seizes the car. None of us wants to see that happen. Just trying to make people aware before they sink a ton of money in and run into legal trouble. Then the bills can add up quick.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does your state allow "salvage" title vehicles to be used on the road? In NJ you cant, you have to get it switched to a rebuilt title, which involves an inspection and documentation of repairs and purchasing of parts (proof their not stolen). I'd check with your insurance company to see what their policy is.

I started looking this up on MN web site. It almost sounds like NJ is the same. I sent the MN DMV an email about this and they wanted to get my name and VIN to look it up. I told them I didn't want to reveal that. I just wanted clarification if my transferred Kentucky Salvage Title to MN Salvage Title can be turned into a Rebuilt Title since I had just finished a frame off restoration. I then asked if the local DMV transferred the Salvage Title and registered it for me to now drive without inspection was a mistake. I see no reason to continue to pursue a Rebuilt Title if the law says it must be inspected first. They registered the Salvage Title, so I assumed you can just drive without inspection. I will hear back from them, but I don't want to cause more paperwork problems. I don't think if I were to sell car someday with Salvage Title, there has to be an inspection document with it, does there? I bought it with just a Salvage Title.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just happened to notice my new MN title actually says Prior Salvage. That may help.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Listen, if it was 30 years ago or a new car it would be an issue.

Since the car is rebuilt, restored.,restored...whatever, there is a value as long as the car is insurable and able to be registered. Every day there are shows on TV redoing all types of cars to everyone for tens of thousands of dollars with no issues that were rusted, crashed totaled, etc., but it was a rare car so they rebuilt it.

If you really want to know then call Haggertys insurance or any other classic car insurer and ask. They will ask you for receipts and pictures and insure for an agreed value.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 08-10-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, the Kentucky Salvage title issued was 30 years ago (1992). Not sure why that would be more relevant than a new car. But, since MN gave me a Prior Salvage Title and registered it, I think I'm legal. As far as I can see, a Salvage Title car has to be inspected before allowing registration. Mine was allowed registering when the title transfer took place.
I guess I'll learn to live with the Prior Salvage Title since I can prove with pics and invoices everything is as good as new if and when I decide to sell.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

I have one that says "Brands: SALVAGE COLLISION REBUILT " apparently happened 20 years ago in MA. NP getting Florida tag or insurance. $800 nice looking no rust retractable so do not really care..