Old 06-21-2021, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Burning oil - Valve stem Seals????

So today noticed while sitting in traffic a bunch of smoke coming out of the exhaust. This was after driving for about a half hour. Pulled into the Driveway and took a look as it sat idling. Looks like smoke from oil burning (the smell) both sides but more on the drive side cylinders. So looked into it thinking valve stem seals but most say if the valve stem seals are bad it will smoke on start up and then clear???? after burning the oil off? Seems to me if the valve seals were bad it would smoke all the time? I haven't noticed a bunch of smoke on start-up.

Wondering what others think about it. Saw videos of pressurizing the cylinder to keep the valve stems closed then remove the springs to replace the seals. Of course don't want to do this job if it's not the root of the problem. Thoughts?

Old 06-22-2021, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is driven daily or weekly? Or has it been sitting a long time?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your PCV valve, they can seize and create oil burn. If it’s rings it will tend to be worse under load. Stem seals tend to be worse during start up as the oil sitting on top of the heads will seep down into the combustion chamber when the engine is off..

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

leave car running, take out breather tube from passenger valve cover to see if you have pressure blowing out of that hole. If you do, rings are letting gases past (blow by).

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 06-22-2021, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Is driven daily or weekly? Or has it been sitting a long time?
I'd say I've been driving it weekly during the spring - summer months. Usually sits from November into April.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Check your PCV valve, they can seize and create oil burn. If it’s rings it will tend to be worse under load. Stem seals tend to be worse during start up as the oil sitting on top of the heads will seep down into the combustion chamber when the engine is off..
I'll check out the PVC valve

Old 06-22-2021, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it's an automatic, another thing to check is the modulator valve. If the diaphragm fails it'll pass ATF fluid into the intake. Just pull the hose at the transmission and see if any oil drips out.

P.S. If you end up going after the valve seals, a safer way to keep the valves from dropping is feeding rope into the combustion chamber. Air lines can fail...

Old 06-22-2021, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

It has a manual tranny

Old 06-22-2021, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

I started up the car today after yesterday's smokey oil burn. Did not notice any smoke on start up. After warming up a little checked the rear of the to examine the exhaust. Looked normal for a car just started up, no oil smell at all. I checked the passenger side valve cover after pulling the breather tube...did not fell any push of air. Disconnected the PVC valve from the carb to see if there was any blow by....nothing. Checked the PVC and it opens and closes freely. So those are my findings after running the car for 8 minutes. I guess I have to take it on the road once the weather clears to see if the smoke comes back and then check these spots again to see if there is any change

Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakev View Post
I started up the car today after yesterday's smokey oil burn. Did not notice any smoke on start up. After warming up a little checked the rear of the to examine the exhaust. Looked normal for a car just started up, no oil smell at all. I checked the passenger side valve cover after pulling the breather tube...did not fell any push of air. Disconnected the PVC valve from the carb to see if there was any blow by....nothing. Checked the PVC and it opens and closes freely. So those are my findings after running the car for 8 minutes. I guess I have to take it on the road once the weather clears to see if the smoke comes back and then check these spots again to see if there is any change
Good news on blow by, so not rings!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)